+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Abel TR2 owners

Default Abel TR2 owners

please tell me about your reel. What do you like about it. What not? Thank you.

I have used the search engine. It's that I want lots of information from users

[This message has been edited by Gardenfish (edited 14 January 2006).]

I have several, with several extra spools. Solidly made, nice size for midweight rods, drag is simple but effective with little chance of failure. Can be used for either left of right hand retrieve, and easily changed from one to the other. I have some spooled for RH retrieve for the lefthanders in the family, and one "set" of spools loaded with Cortland peach line in differing weights for my 4, 5, and 6 weight bamboos.

I have a TR 2 done in the cutthroat finish. Absolutely beautiful reel. The only problem I have had (am having) is the line comes off of the reel too easily. I am thinking about sending it back to Abel to make the adjustment. I bought mine when they were on sale as a closeout.

The quality of the machining and finishing is excellent. I doubt that you will find better in this price range. I was put off at first by the simplicity of the drag spring, which did not seem up to the quality of the rest of the reel. I asked Steve Abel about that at a trade show. His reply was that any spring would eventually fail. If it happens on a trip it can put you out of business. With the TR design, you can just go to the nearest hardware store, get some music wire, and go back to fishing. I like that kind of thinking.

RevRob - I would talk to the people at Abel and see what they recommend. My guess is they will tell you to replace the spring with a slightly heavier one. The force of a spring increases exponentially as thickness increases. If you can find a piece of stainless music wire a few thousanths thicker than what you have, you will probably get what you want.

+ Reply to Thread