+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekly Raffle Update 12/27

Default Weekly Raffle Update 12/27

I've had request to update everyone weekly as to how we are doing so here goes:
    As of Sun 12/27 we have sold 261 tickets, giving us 522 entries in the raffle, and it brings our bank total to $3290.00. There are some who are concerned as to whether or not their checks got to me. If you would like a conformation as to whether I got your check drop me a PM with your name (I don't know everyone by their screen name). I try to check my PM's once a day or so, I'll get back to you as quickly as I can

Here's a few of what we have to offer:

http://s57.photobucket.com/albums/g2...view=slideshow
    Last edited by Host Ray; 12-28-2009 at 01:34 AM.

Ray, the link doesn't work for me. It brings me to photobucket but not the slide show.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

I think it's fixed...sorry....remember this is only a small part of the raffle.

Thanks for the update Ray. The fund is still way below the $5,000 goal. I sure wish a lot more Faol folks wanted this to happen and would support this fund raiser.

rainbow is right---wrong link
    Max

Link works now Ray.
    Max

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    Thanks for the update Ray. The fund is still way below the $5,000 goal. I sure wish a lot more Faol folks wanted this to happen and would support this fund raiser.
    I honestly think that folks do want this to happen. There are a variety of reasons folks are not supporting this as planned. They are valid reasons. They are not excuses, but reasons.

Let's start with the economy. If you have been reading various posts, there are quite a few of us out of work. I think most of us that are out of work kicked in for a couple of tickets. I know I heard about it from the boss for a couple of days for kicking in a ten spot.

Then there are the folks who are still employed, but under-employed. Hours cut, salaries cut, managed to get a job but at much less than what they had been working for. Maybe half of a two income household is unemployed.

There are also a lot of folks on here, myself included, that have never shared a thread with or know much of anything about the guy this bench is honoring. My donation was not to honor him so much as to help those who knew and loved him, who I do know and care about, honor him the way they want to.

I have never met a group of folks online that are as generous as this bunch. If folks were flush, this would be where expected. Of that, I have no doubt.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Although I agree with your post in general...it's also true that on any given site, even in the best of times, only a minority of the membership can be counted on for financial support.
    True a memorial for J.C. isn't quite the same but the principle is.
    Right or wrong...that's just the way it is.
    Actually we're not to far from the goal...it'll happen.
    nam

Default I just can't believe this:

"There are also a lot of folks on here, myself included, that have never shared a thread with or know much of anything about the guy this bench is honoring. My donation was not to honor him so much as to help those who knew and loved him, who I do know and care about, honor him the way they want to."

Maybe I have really missed something. "the guy" is my late husband, and co-founder of this website. He also wrote a weekly column for FAOL for 13 plus years, mostly stuff about casting and fly fishing. His name was James (Jim Birkholm ) also know as JC or Castwell. His columns can be found here:
    http://www.flyanglersonline.com/articles/cst/ He also Hosted a Chat every Saturday night for about 10 years, and oh yes, he managed this Bulletin Board too.

kbproctor - maybe you might have engaged your brain before typing. Duh

Oh-Oh...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    kbproctor - maybe you might have engaged your brain before typing. Duh
    Deanna,

Please do not misunderstand me. The last thing I want to do is cause you pain. I know who he was, but never had the privilege of speaking with him. I know he is revered by many on the board. I would like to have known him. I do check out his articles on occasion. I am grateful for the efforts by both of you for such a wonderful site with all of the info on it and particularly for the Board which has helped me stay sane since getting laid off. I can not begin to tell you how much I have learned from the site, the board, and it's members. Thank you.

My point to Max was that while JC is revered by many, others of us do not have that attachment to him because we did not experience him. Therefore, the bench is not going to be the priority to some that it would be to others. Not a good or bad thing, just human nature. Unfortunately, while responding to Max, I may not have chosen my words with as much care as I should have. Because of that, I hurt you and I am sorry.

The reason I donated to the raffle, and I seldom win anything like that so I do count it as a donation, is because people I have developed an attachment to on the board want to honor him and I want to help them honor their friend.

I am sorry if I caused you discomfort in any way. That certainly was not my intention.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

+ Reply to Thread