+ Reply to Thread

Thread: broken fly rods

Normand Guest

Excellent article Normand. This past year has been a bad one for broken rods, either from high-sticking to inattentiveness, or a variety of other reasons, we lost 3 or 4, which is totally inexcusable, but it still happened. Most manufacturers have been a dream to work with, but I ran into a snag with Cabela's when a rod I was building, and just ready to put finish on broke at the topmost guide for no apparent reason. I contacted Cabela's as to how to approach a warranty replacement and they told me to send the entire rod back as-is. This included a custom turned handle, installed reel seat and all of the guides wrapped. I followed their instructions and about 4-weeks later received a new blank in the mail with a new reel seat and one of their pre-made cork handles. When I called about my titanium guides, tip-top and hook keeper they said they had thrown the old rod away and that I'd now have to show proof of purchase for the guide set in order for them to consider replacing them. It was frustrating to say the least. I went back to Hook and Hackle for a copy of the receipt for the guides and cork rings and Doug was very helpful in getting this to me. Long story short - Cabela's-0, Hook and Hackle-10, guess who's getting all my business in the future?
    Thanks for the article reference.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Thanks for posting that link!

I've broken three rods so far. One when I put the window up in the car, between access points. One, when I left the rod on the roof of the car after a day's fishing, driving off into heavy city rush hour traffic... watching it roll off into the path of an 18 wheeler though my rear view window was akin to watching a puppy run out into traffic.... that last one broke when a bead head fly nicked it, then a good size fish took the fly. Just a reminder...if you feel or hear a bead or shot hit the rod...check it very very closely, then work on correcting your tailing loop!

....oh yeah.... Rods used for removing spider webs on your walks to the access point may not fair so well either.
    Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 12-24-2009 at 03:13 PM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

Normand,
    Great article. I needed to learn those things. Not that I have broken many rods because I haven't.

I don't, and haven't fished a life time....but up until this year I could say I never broke a rod. But I haven't fly rod fished for 55 years. But can't say that anymore. Have broken two....due to the inattention part. One when anchor in boat rolled onto it...other...rigging it in house on my floor..and really don't know how I broke that one.

But it is all very good information.

Thanks for posting it.

Jim
    Merry Christmas and Happy Holiday wishes to you Normand.

Thank you for posting that article.

I had one rod's tip break when my nephew stepped on it....

I'm curious about one point that the article recommends. It said to put paraffin on the ferrules. I thought that was "old" advice and no longer recommended.

Does anyone have any thoughts/information about this?

Thank you!

Sage still recommends parrafin

http://www.sageflyfish.com/Resources...Rod+Care+Tips/

and St. Croix ships their rods with a container of wax.......

Probably best to check with your particular manufacturer.

I converted my 2 piece rod into a 3 piece rod this year.

I was changing the tippet before I went out. The rod was lying on the picnic table as I was tying the knot. I must have shifted the rod or bumped the table and it began to fall. Reflexively, I reached out and caught it. My reach was just past the third guide from the tip and there it snapped.

It was a beginner model past the warranty period so I had a temporary repair done at a local shop. So far it hasn't broken again and I've been catching fish.

Though, I do know that Santa is bringing a couple more learning outfits for the kids tomorrow.
    Glenn

Great article, but where it mentions about lowering your rod to almost parrallel with the water {picture} to fight a fish especially a large one this is new to me ,I fished salmon for 23yrs and was taught to keep your rod up as vertical as possible and that is how I fight a fish and how I ever seen it done,noy saying its the right way but just wondering if thats how others play salmon or rainbows.

Quote Originally Posted by Draggerman View Post
    Great article, but where it mentions about lowering your rod to almost parrallel with the water {picture} to fight a fish especially a large one this is new to me ,I fished salmon for 23yrs and was taught to keep your rod up as vertical as possible and that is how I fight a fish and how I ever seen it done,noy saying its the right way but just wondering if thats how others play salmon or rainbows.
    As long as you dont go PAST "12 o'clock" position...you're ok. straightening out the rod and pointing at the fish means your tippet is taking all the strain and you dont have the flex of the rod working for you. I probably have mine at about 1 o'clock position. I want all the line OUT of the water that I can get for less drag.

In 20 years I have had 2 broken rods. One snapped with a 2 lb trout on while I was float tubing. It was a new rod from Cabela's. They replaced it with no hassle. The replacement lasted until last summer. I stupidly slammed the rear hatch door on the tip. I sent it back to Cabela's and they issued me a coupon for the cost since they no longer had that rod. The original rod came with a 25 year warranty. My new Redington 9' 4piece 4wt. replacement doesn't have that kind of warranty. I now transport all my rods in tubes while driving, take them out to fish and put them back in when changing places. My Scott is carried to the water and back to the car in a tube. I think I have learned my lesson.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

+ Reply to Thread