+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Here there be Whitefish

Default Here there be Whitefish

So after lurking around here for a year and enjoying the information and personalities on this fine website I've decided to try and become a little more active and contribute what I can. Hopefully this also translates into more fishing time which is an early New Years resolution.

I made it out to the Deschutes two days in a row a few weeks back before we got hit with a cold snap out here in Orygun. Cool and rainy, about 40F. Set up for nymphing and this was taken on a bead head cased caddis pattern

Pretty piggish, one of the larger whitefish that I've dredged out of the river.

Shortly thereafter I decided to switch up flies. During the changeover a powerful lesson was learned. While tying on the new fly I heard a distinct "plop" nearby. As I looked down I saw my flybox floating at my legs. Hand grab failed, rod retrieve failed, box floating merrily away. In a moment of sheer stupidity I charged after the box in knee high water. Unfortunately, the Deschutes is known for bowling ball sized rocks that are covered in some really slippery stuff. I made it about ten feet before I took a spill and ended up with a soaked left arm and a really sore right kneecap. Better judgement was restored and luckily I retrieved the errant box about 100 yards downstream in a shallow backeddy.

Day two found me with a very sore knee and a vow to wade with care. Despite the extra caution that I was taking I managed to stumble again and in a fateful way ended up with a soaked left arm and hit the same knee. Shortly after that there was some salty liquid coming from the eyes. Not so great of an expedition.

Yesterday found me on the river again, beautiful weather with more sun than cloud cover. This feisty little guy was brought to hand

I find it really amazing how hard these guys fight.

Later in the day nymphing picked up using a bead head cased caddis for weight and a flashback pheasant tail. One fish put on an aerial show that just floored me, four tail walking episodes before shaking me.

A great day, hopefully I get out on Monday and find it as productive!

Great post and pics! That really is a pig of a whitefish. There are many (REE for one ) who don't care much for the 'lowly' whitefish, but they bring some great winter action and, as far as I'm concerned, their presence in any body of water means that the fishery is healthy and thriving, so I'm glad to hook into one every now and again. Some say they're really good for smoking, but I've had a Dicken's of a time getting them to light up and stay lit.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Oh man I would love to have Whitefish down here, they look like a cross between a grayling and a chub! lovely fish, thanks for the report.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Smile Yum Yum

For the evening meal last night the main entree was fried whitefish. For those who don't know the whitefish is related to the trout and has the same bone structure. Scale the fish, roll in flour & fry. It has nice flavored white meat that is slightly oilier than that of a trout. Becauseof the oil they are good smoked.

Tim

Tyro,
    Sorry I missed your entry (27 posts ago), but welcome to FAOL. Thanks for the pics and report. This old dog doesn't get out much in winter so I fish vicariously through the reports and pics of others. If you can, try to schedule yourself in the 2010 Idaho Fish-In. Great bunch of folks with a wealth of free information. Except for DG, but you can pry information out of him with a dozen cookies.
    Again, welcome and thanks for the pics.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

You summed up the big "D" quite well. Huge whitefish,spectacular trout, great nymphing and treacherious wading.

I don't think east coasters understand the kind of rivers we have out here. I will put an 18-20 inch Dechutes redside in fast water against an east coast brown of any size.

Default 24 December

Had the day off and made the foggy drive over to the river on a cold day. Air temps were low 30's and the water was clocking in at 40 or just under leading to icicles at the shoreline.

Fished below this riffle.

Landed two using a rubberleg stonefly and red Copper John on point. To me it was interesting that both went for the stonefly. Nice fish, pictures need some help. A good early Christmas present!

Tyro -

Man, I'm dying for some weather and water like that !! Great looking stretch of water.

That first fishy looks kind of stub nosed. But not so much so to not eat the fly, right ?!

You mention a rubber legs stonefly, but the fly in the last picture looks like it has a wound copper body. I find that very interesting, since I've been thinking about tying / trying a stonefly nymph with a copper body and chenile thorax, otherwise tied like the all chenile rubber legs stonefly nymph that I've been using. Thinking it would have a slimmer profile and more weight to get down a bit better in faster water.

Maybe you could post a pic of that fly and some comments about it ??

Thanks for the report, and some more information on the fly.

John
    The fish are always right.

John, I think the fly you're thinking of is called a "jumbo john" and can be very effective - as you can see from the above.

John,
    Here is a link to pictures of the fly used. I'm sure that the photo's are of better quality than I can take. With the wire wrap and beadhead it's got plenty of weight to sink your rig.

http://www.deschutesangler.com/Flies...one+Nymph.html

+ Reply to Thread