+ Reply to Thread

Thread: winter fishing the Squannacook or Nissitissit

Default winter fishing the Squannacook or Nissitissit

I'm beginning to get a case of cabin feaver. With the warmer weather expected this weekend, I'd like to get out and do some fishing. Living a stones throw away, I fish the Squannacook River area that I am familliar with untill freeze up. Does anyone know of an area on the Squannacook or Nissitissit Rivers that is good for winter fishing. I have a couple of good guide books, but they don't really talk about winter fishing. Thanks

i get out there at least once during the winter months. find the gauging station in the river and go up a few corners. there's a couple of good holes up there with under water springs where i can usually find some hiding trout.... with this warm weather it might get some fish active, mid day should be best. i'd like to get out this saturday but mike martinek is tying all day down in concord,www.concordoutfitters.com , and i want to go pick his brain for a while. good luck and tight lines

-to find the gauging station go in from Townsend rd. in W.Groton, follow the path down to the right it will bring you to a big corner just above the gauging station-----------------
    do what u like, like what u do

[This message has been edited by trout hunter 77 (edited 10 January 2006).]

Glad to hear talk about the local rivers. The area talked about was heavily stocked in late fall and then the rains came. I suspect there are lots of fish in the Squanacook right now. From what I hear, it's all abou the springs on the Squan and Niss in the winter.

I don't know what you mean by the gauging station. When I fish in W.Groton I ususally launch a canoe at the W.Groton water dept and go up stream. The area I fish wading I acess ofr Shirley Rd. in Townsend.(around where Witches' brook comes in) Downstream from Bertozzi, but before the river Starts to open up in W.Groton. I can do really well in there on a fall afternoon, but the water was so high all year round, I had no luck at all this year.

If I remember correctly . . . you take the main trail down to the river from the Bartozzi parking area. The gauging station is a short distance upstream. Check out the USGS streamflow report before you go. [url=http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ma/nwis/uv/?site_no=01096000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060:1bb32]http://waterdata.usgs.gov/ma/nwis/uv/?site_no=01096000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060[/url:1bb32]

Have fun!

Karl

------------------
    Bach Trout

Wishin' I were fishin' . . . .

the gauging station is between the water dept. and witches brook, there is also some sort of zip line across the river right there also i bet you, A.pacyna we've said hello to each other if you fish that section of river. thats my fav. section of the river. mostly on the fall, when no one is around.

------------------

We've probably bumped into each other along the way. I've only fished as far as the zip line once. Usually I fish the bend pools down stream from Witch's brook,(on the brook side of the river)on A Fri. afternoon and after catching a few fish I'll go home. I plan on spending alot of time exploring the whole river this upcoming spring. However, this is my favorite area on the river. I do like putting in canoe at the Water dept pond. It can be very exciting catching a 14" largemouth while fishing for trout with a 4 wt. rod
    Maybe I'll see you 'round this spring

i love fishing all the log jambs below witch's brook, lot of nice browns hiding in there... my fav hole is just up from the zip line,i know that section gets fished hard,easy acsess and all. but i had one day a few years ago, i had a day to remember.. pulling bows out of two holes all day! had the river to myself that day, and the bows just kept coming... wore my arm out that day... be glad to meet you on the river some day, we could share some hot spots

------------------

+ Reply to Thread