+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: clamp or pedestal?

Question clamp or pedestal?

I'm sure this one has probably been brought up before, but which do you prefer and why? I've got a clamp on vise but I'm thinking about getting a pedestal. Really, I'm wanting to buy a pedestal for the vise I have now, which I've seen on Hook and Hackle's site. Anyone know how heavy that is? I want to buy a desk and make a fly tying "spot" in the house, but the desks I've looked at don't have enough lip for a clamp on vise. (they are just regular desks) I could leave the drawer out but I thought it would be a handy place for my tools. What do you think?

thanks in advance,

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

I have pedestal bases for both my vises. Having said that, I also have a c clamp for the one I carry in my travel bag. I've found the clamp will hold to the steering wheel, and a lawn chair, where the base will work in the motel room or on a picnic table. My home vise is a Rensetti, so the base is very heavy, and I love it! If you leave the drawer open, you'll find all kinds of strange things in it, from thread clippings, to dubbing, to deer hair ... you name it, it'll collect in the drawer!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Normand Guest

i have a c clamp on my renzetti because of my tying bench but i also have a pedestal for traveling

Quote Originally Posted by hungNtree View Post
    I'm sure this one has probably been brought up before, but which do you prefer and why? I've got a clamp on vise but I'm thinking about getting a pedestal. Really, I'm wanting to buy a pedestal for the vise I have now, which I've seen on Hook and Hackle's site. Anyone know how heavy that is? I want to buy a desk and make a fly tying "spot" in the house, but the desks I've looked at don't have enough lip for a clamp on vise. (they are just regular desks) I could leave the drawer out but I thought it would be a handy place for my tools. What do you think?

thanks in advance,

hNt
    I have both styles and use the pedestal type much more often. My wife wasnt about to let me clamp down a c-clamp style on the dining room table in the motorhome..( I believe her wrds were..." If you THINK your clamping ANYTHING on that table...the rest is sort of a blur...lol) Thats how I ended up with the pedestal style..*S*

<oh Sully! Where's her sense of adventure??!!??>
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I have a pedestal base for traveling only because the clamp won't fit on a picnic table when campin' out
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I prefer a clamp mount for my vises. I need to adjust the height of the vise to a comfortable position. Most pedestal mounts are fixed height. With a clamp I can clamp to any height table or desk and adjust the vise to a comfortably height.

I prefer to tie with the vise fairly low. A problem with my shoulder causes pain to develop if I hold my upper arm up too high. I tie with my elbows resting on the arm rests of my chair. The vise jaws are about even with the bottom of my sternum. To get the vise in this position, I use a Dyna King right angle adapter to swing the vise away from the desk. The adapter is inserted into the underside of the clamp.

Blog Entries

I have and use both, I would wait untill I had the desk and then work from there.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Re: the desk ...you mentioned you were looking.

I would suggest you look at and consider a computer desk...they come in all sorts of shapes and sizes and price...overall you can get a really handy one inexpensive ....and the key board is very handy for tools.

I got some pictures of mine but it's not current...I think I'll take a new one tonight....

BTW I only like the clamp on type.....

My wife and I both use pedestal mount vises. We tie at a couple shows during the spring and you never really know what kind of table your going to get at a show. Some just won't work well with a clamp type vise. That's the reason we prefer a pedestal.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread