+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Shikari 9' 5wt 4pc

Default Shikari 9' 5wt 4pc

Here's a rod on a blank I wish they still produced because these were some really nice feeling actions on these blanks. Its a 905-4 Shikari. Real seat is by far my favorite wood, Buckeye burl, with RHW grip with matching wood accents. Wraps are dark green (without CP) and trim is metallic copper. Reel seat hardware is Nickle Silver and has double foot snake guides.

Steve

Blog Entries

I do like those grips. I like the color combo, too. That would work well on a Tiger Eye blank. I was also wondering how that dark green would look without CP.

Sharp!
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Steve, another good looking rod build. Did you build up the hostle with epoxy? Or is it thread?
    One more question. Is wrapping the metallic copper as much a p i t a to you as it is to me?

You always seem to amaze me on your rods.

TB

Very Nice...a beautiful rod....

Now that rod fits my eye maybe the nicest I have seen. I envy FishnDave but know I'm not sure I could take it out of the house....well maybe to the lawn....makes me remember two custom rifles I had made and then didn't dare take them up the mountain.

What a wonderful piece of work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    Steve, another good looking rod build. Did you build up the hostle with epoxy? Or is it thread?
    One more question. Is wrapping the metallic copper as much a p i t a to you as it is to me?

I do it with just epoxy. I usually do one coat of finish on wraps but on the epoxy ramp like this I'll do one coat of finish which cover from the grip edge over the winding check right to the start of the thread. Then after that coat has dried then I'll do a 2nd coat which cover all of from the grip edge over the check and out onto the thread wrap in front of it. That's usually enough to give a nice smooth tapered epoxy ramp. I do that a lot on rods that have PVC winding checks on them, just an easy way to add a better look to me than just a plain pvc check.

I don;t have much trouble with metallic thread anymore. Use to it was a bit of a pain pulling the tag through but a started doing only two wraps over the tag which made it a lot easier to pull through without the metallic comeing off the thread or breaking leaving those darn fraid ends. Since I started doing that it's made working with metallic a lot easier now.

Steve

Wow...Steve...

The rod seat and accents are amazing... Those copper wraps light up PERFECT! I'm VERY pleased!

That is BEAUTIFUL! That looks way better than I even pictured! THANKS!!!!
    Last edited by FishnDave; 12-21-2009 at 01:51 PM.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

+ Reply to Thread