+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Off Topic-Cell Ph #'s becoming public.....

The "do not call" list has worked very well for us. Before signing up we got numerous calls nightly.

All I want ot know is, how do I get on the "do not spy" list ?
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Buzz, how do you route your land line to your cell phone if you have it disconnected?
    Don't you then lose your number?

We had our cell phone number changed to what use to be our LL number before it was disconnected. We have Verizon....they handled the whole thing. BTW...I am very happy with the coverage of Verizon.
    You should have heard the expression of surprise in a friend of my wifes voice when she called thinking we were home but found out we were 1100 miles away.

thanks for the headsup on that. i hate those telemarketers.

Being listed on the state attorney general's (SAG) do not call list automatically means you are listed on the federal listing also.

One difference is the fed list is free, some SAG's cost.

Saw on television tonight where there are websites that for a fee, will obtain lists from the cell providers of ALL the phone calls that you make. They usually use nefarious methods for getting these lists, but it's happening. Costs an average of a hundred bucks to get a list. There are people working to get the government to take control of the situation, but you know how that goes. Maybe by the Second Coming. They also said on the TV piece, that telemarketers could call you in a few more days, and your cell phone would be charged. If you've registered your land line, and not your cell, you probably should. I don't know how true these things are, but it was on Fox News. Ain't technology grand??
    -------------------------------------------
    Lew

[This message has been edited by Lew (edited 12 January 2006).]
    They're just fish, right? Right?

Blog Entries

I hope that I don't upset anybody, but that sort of information has been on file with major telephone companies for over a dozen years. Telephone switches are now computers. All of the call info such as start and end times and the header are logged. How else could you get billed for your long-distance calls etc... That info goes to tape and gets backed up regularly. From there, it is just a matter of how long the phone company wants to hold on to those tapes. They are NOT recording the content of your calls, just the start and stop times and phone numbers involved etc...
    Those tapes DO get kept and used. A company that I used to work for used them to convict a guy of placing over 750 obscene phone calls. As cheap as memory has become don't count on ANYTHING being deleted anymore. Some day, forensic anthrologists might reconstruct today's society from our data tapes instead of our pot shards.

+ Reply to Thread