+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Boot foot waders (for saltwater/beaches)

Default Boot foot waders (for saltwater/beaches)

I've been wavering back and forth about boot foot waders... specifically which brands to get.

I plan on using these on the beaches along the Atlantic coast, and am peeved at the amount of sand I get in my wading boots now. I won't be wearing them much, maybe less than a dozen times a year (although that might increase as I now live on the seacoast of NH), so I don't really want to spend a lot of money.

I'm a big Simms fan, but just can't seem to pull the trigger on a $200 pair. Any suggestions about other brands? I'm looking for breathables, as I'm a big fan of layering up when cold, and I probably will be using these for the most part in the summer months.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I like the LL Beans waders. A good value and a bit cheaper.

jed

Hodgman bootfoots are great. I have a pair that I'm in my 4th winter using.

They are not expensive as I remember, but they are comfortable and durable.

------------------
    Ken

"The memory of a fisherman is more like fiction than journalism, that is, it doesn't ignore the facts, but it is not entirely bound by them, either."

John Gierach

Well, Hextall, when I had $200 to spend on breathable waders, I went to orvis and purchased theirs because of their great warrantee (and it is great!) I started at the bottom and worked my way, with leaking waders, all the way to their top of the line. When they all leaked, I decided after many cheerful replacements, and I mean MANY, to go ahead, bite the bullet, and purchase a pair of Simms bootfoot waders at $299. Gulp! I was afraid to even step into the water, fearful that these, too, would leak and I'd have to send them all the way back to Montana. So far, so good. Simms says they watertest their waders before they even ship them out. I hope this is true. So far, no leaks, even at the connecting tape between the boot and the leg which is the problem spot. Even though Simms doesn't say I have to, I wash them off with the hose after each s/w fishing outing and hang them by the boots, upside down, to dry off, just like I did with my Orvis waders. Lots of fishermen have offered their disappointed comments on all fishing forums regarding leaking bootfoot waders from all mfrs. but very few are disappointed with Simms so I'd say, go for 'em. PS: My backup Orvis bootfoot waders, the Tailwater XT, top of the line, about $385, so far, have been leakproof but they are pricey and I have them only because of an upgrade offered when returning my ever leaking Silver Labels.

+ Reply to Thread