+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Green Weenie

Default Green Weenie

What is the standard way of fishing this fly? Dry?

Thanks,
    paff

Do you remember how to fish a worm?
    Same way I would imagine!

At times hits will come while it is sinking. Most of time they will be during a very slow roll along the bottom. When possible I let it lie motionless on the bottom for a few seaconds and get many hits then. I usually use a shot ahead of it. Also I like a hot orange metal bead 5/32 on size 10 or 12 hook for weight and extra attraction. This fly is somewhat of a joke among my fishing companions because it really does not closely immitate anything but yet virtually always will produce some fish even during tough spells.

I don't use them much...but then,the Weenie fishers are often hauling them in while I'm striking out. They are the most amazing fly that I know of.

They are fished most effectively under a strike indicator(bobber)with no weight to a lot of weight...very much as a nymph is fished. I don't know why they are so effective but the soft tail may have something to do with it (they will hit the fly more than once). Chartreuse is a most effective color for attracting fish. Bead heads are also used. The strike indicator (best when made of a buoyant, high drag material such as polly propolene) is least affected by the drag of the line and makes it easy for the fly to get down. I found an easy way to fasten the strike indicator to the leader on this board...use a clove hitch which is easy to untie and move. Another way is to fasten the strike indicator to the end of the butt section and tie the tippet to the butt section above the indicator. This will make it necessary to lengthen and shorten the tippett to meet prevailing conditions though.

Yep, Pretty much like fishing a nymph or a worm.

Ol' Bill

Here's what I think is the original pattern:
    [url=http://www.fishingwithflies.com/Fred'sWeenies.html:97276]http://www.fishingwithflies.com/Fred'sWeenies.html[/url:97276]

along with a little story about its origin and popularization. Definitely a PA standard.

Dear fish4life,

Fish it like a nymph dead drifted. I usually do better when it is right on the bottom, but sometimes fish will hit it as it swings up at the end of it's drift.

It may not really look like anything, but if you ever pull apart a stick caddis case you will find something that looks an awful lot like a size 12 or 14 green weenie.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

Hey Paflyfisher,

I recently discovered the green weenie
    thanks to a swap with a member. I was
    surprised to find out just how much my
    bluegills and red eared sunfish really
    liked it. I'm fishing it in still waters
    and I cast it out, let it sink to the
    bottom and then slowly raise my tip. I
    let it sink again and then slowly raise it
    until it has covered the desired waters.
    Frankly, the fish don't much seem to care
    how I fish it as I'm always getting hits
    when least expected.*G* I also fish an
    unweighted version with a bit of floatant.
    Also very effective here. Warm regards, Jim

We used a fly similar to the one shown in the link, not weighted, for trout on the South Branch of the Au Sable. The little green worms lived in birch trees and would drop into the stream. They floated, at least until they were snatched up by the trout.
    Worked very well. In fact, if any one is going to fish the South Branch during the Michigan Fish-In this summer, bring some.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Okay, I'm going to throw a wrench into this thread.

I know what todays 'Green Weenie' looks like and I've read who and when it was developed, although I can't remember the name of the individual or the exact date right now. However, I have in front of me an old Fly Tyer magazine dated February, 1982. There is a pattern labeled the 'Green Weenie' tied by Tom Urgin of CA. In the article (pgs 28&29) he states, "I was given this fly by Tom Noll, of Pacifica, CA, about 10 years ago". This pattern is a steelhead fly and looks nothing like the pattern as we, at least here in the northeast, know it today.

Allan

Allan - I've run across that PNW Green Weenie out in OR and WA. Maybe it's like the Eastern Green Drake (Ephemera guttulata) and the Western GD (Grandis) are altogether different bugs? (kidding)

Here in PA, I've run across many variations of the more common Eastern GW, which some folks are ashamed of when they ffish it, preferring to refer to it as an Inchworm.

Funny how that loop tail makes a difference in ffishability. Must have sumpin to do with hydrodynamics.

Paflyfisher - on the Lil Lehi, there's a local variation of the Weenie, using the honeybug (cotton chenille) material dyed with a fluorescent green Veniard dye. The dye is now out of production.
    If you want to try variations on the same theme, try Antron chenille, Jellycord, etc. to give the trouts a change of pace.
    Contrary to the Inchwormers, this Easter weenies seems to work in the dead of winter - the Inchworm 'hatch' can be spectacular, but in June. Dragging a floating Green Inchworm can work very well, and is a good way to teach beginners.
    Maybe the Eastern Weenie is a green caddis larva on steroids?

------------------
    tl
    les

+ Reply to Thread