+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peak Vise

Default Peak Vise

I'm looking to upgrade my vise and am so far leaning toward the Peak Rotary vise. Simple , made in the U.S.A. , looks like a lot of vise for the money. Any Peak user's out there and what are the advantages of the bolt upgrades?

texfly,

I have the Peak pedastal vise and feel it is a lot of vise for the money. I consider it well made and made from quality material. As far as the accessories: I have ordered the brass turn "bolts" you mentioned, but, I am not ordering them because I think they would improve on the function of the vise. I am ordering them because I think they just look better than the black nylon headed brass bolts that come with the vise. The pedastal base weighs in at 7 pounds and makes for a very solid working platform. I would also recommend the material clip for holding back material as you are tying. The base has an additional hole for another shorter stem that I think would be a good purchase because this would give you a place to attach other accessories such as a tying light or the trash collection bag. I also have and use the bobbin rest which I have attached on the extra stem. The extra stem/rod allows your main vise stem/rod to be free of any attachments.

I like using this vise and feel confident that it will last many years of use and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to upgrade.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

The Alaska Fly Fishers just bought 10 for our tying clinics (One starts in about 2 hours, come on over and try them ) and so far they look pretty good. The metal polishing is not as good as more expensive vises, but not an issue.

I have to laugh at the sincere folks amazed by the base and how solid it is... It is EXTREME overkill! But that is not a bad thing, I guess. They do a great job of holding the hooks and operate smoothly... What else would you need?

Oh, specifically, the base is larger and heavier than any other brand I have seen. Since the posted is centered, stage right, for right-handed tyers the post is slightly farther back from the edge of the base. It is not a big deal, except when shipping or moving them around.
    art

Here's a review by one of our own on this vise; might help in your decision: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/prorevw/peakvise.php
    Good luck in your decision, I've been looking at this one myself.

kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Short background - bought a DanVise, nice product (for the price - still wanted something nicer). Bought a Peak. Love the made in USA, great product service, nice responsive people. Bought the brass screws (for looks on my end) and a material clip. My material clip moves too much for me and is never in the right spot. The base is wonderful especially if you want to spin hair or tying larger flies. My biggest concern is the way it holds a hook. The hooks slip too much for me, wish the jaws were textured more.
    Finally bought a Dynaking Barracuda. It holds a hook like I expect a vice to hold a hook. The Trekker or the Jr looks to be a nice option as well.

How long have you been tying? The reason I ask is that many old salty dogs that have already been tying for a long time that have rotary vices just plain don't use the true rotary functions. A HMH Spartan holds a hook and will rotate but is not a true rotary.

I still own the Peak and the Danvise for that matter but like the DK jaws much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I still own the Peak and the Danvise for that matter but like the DK jaws much better.

DynaKing Supreme is my favorite

clay:
    If you contact the folks at PEAK (Al Ritt) they will fix the issue eith the "hook hold." I had that problem and sent it to him and had it fixed in no time flat.

Just a suggestion. I am not affiliated with PEAK in any way, just a satisfied customer.

Roy

I've been eyeballing the Peak and have had a chance to tie on one a little bit. I like it a lot! Seems to be very well built and a great vise. Especially when you factor in that it costs less than a Renzetti Traveller and the like. A lot of bang for your buck! I will be ordering one after the holidays, tough to beat the features on a $150 vise.

Oh, you guys that have one or have extensive experience with them, how do you find the hook clearance on small hooks? The standard jaws seem to be fairly bulky. Could be in my head as I haven't tied anything smaller than a 10 on the peak

I bought an Apex Anvil and i love it. Its built like a tank and you cant budge hooks one locked down. I have tied #14 up to 4/0 on it so far and it worked GREAT!! Also made in the USA!

+ Reply to Thread