+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Are the Super Lines Worth It???

Will it make me a more accurate caster? Nope
    Will it allow make curve casts easier? Nope
    Is it less visible to fish? Nope
    Will it improve the timing of my casts? Nope
    Will it make me a better mender? Maybe
    Will it last longer? The company says so.
    Will I pay a hundred bucks for it......................................Not Yet.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    Okay i get the $100. not being your choice, but I think a GOOD line can make you a better fisherman.
    I have seen people struggle to get 20' with a Wally combo. Slap on a good line and they aren't struggling anymore.
    Don't you agree with that?
    But that "improvement" in CASTING can be achieved with a $62 SA GPX....

I know it might be a "generalization"...but the people that cant cast further than 20 feet with that "Wally " combo..are people that are just beginning to learn or never have learn the proper "stroke".

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    But that "improvement" in CASTING can be achieved with a $62 SA GPX....

I know it might be a "generalization"...but the people that cant cast further than 20 feet with that "Wally " combo..are people that are just beginning to learn or never have learn the proper "stroke".
    True, but I have taken that Wally World outfit in my hand to help that newbie and been sadly put off by it's action. It is the lines. they need stretching, treating and they aren't as supple. (I too am generalizing about the WW, but any cheap starter)
    If I find it difficult, what about a newbie? Then how are they to learn right when they struggle.
    And I would say the $62. line is a good line, and there are always great deals on e-bay (Selective Trout II for $35) but the fact remains, all the technology put into the new lines (including the SS) is not all hype.....some really do work.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly Goddess View Post
    True, but I have taken that Wally World outfit in my hand to help that newbie and been sadly put off by it's action. It is the lines. they need stretching, treating and they aren't as supple. (I too am generalizing about the WW, but any cheap starter)
    If I find it difficult, what about a newbie? Then how are they to learn right when they struggle.
    And I would say the $62. line is a good line, and there are always great deals on e-bay (Selective Trout II for $35) but the fact remains, all the technology put into the new lines (including the SS) is not all hype.....some really do work.
    Hang on now "newt"....LOL We have a different item here now.

Very true that just about any "new tech" line will outperform those $12 level lines they toss in with the proverbial Wally World combo kits...but "action" of the rod wasnt in the subject line in the beginning. The rod itself is atrocious.....and that $12 line just magnifys it. Poor + Poor = even more poor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Hang on now "newt"....LOL We have a different item here now.

Very true that just about any "new tech" line will outperform those $12 level lines they toss in with the proverbial Wally World combo kits...but "action" of the rod wasnt in the subject line in the beginning. The rod itself is atrocious.....and that $12 line just magnifys it. Poor + Poor = even more poor.

Now that is funny...I wasn't talking rods here (I get into too much trouble)
    I just think (and I know JC agreed) that a good line can make even a BROOM STICK cast .....better?
    Seriously, I can put SS on my $14. Eagle Claw and it actually casts okay

I mean there has got to be something to the Shark Skin or there is allot of excellent casters out there that have been hypnotized or something.
    To say it is ALL hype is discrediting them.

This thread has gotten to the point where it's like asking if high dollar autos are worth it, or guns, or musical instruments, or horses--if you can afford nicer things and have the skill to appreciate them, why not? I'm pretty sure that if we leave this life with anything at all, it's a lot more likely to be memories of our great experiences than the money we saved. Will SS lines outlast average or other lines under most conditions (short of trampling with studded boots, dragging through rocks, and other assorted ways we destroy lines)?--yes. Will they turn a neophyte into an expert?--no. Are they worth it?--If you can afford a $70 line (the going rate for most other top lines), I think you can probably handle an additional $30, and I think that one of the many tapers now available in the SS line up will absolutely make your toes curl. If you're happy with $30 lines, and $75 rods, and $150 shotguns, etc, you'll think they're overpriced no matter how many people tell you otherwise, and that's fine, too. An expert fisherman can do a lot more with a bargain basement outfit than a beginner can do with the best tackle, but both will get more enjoyment and, to a varying degree, better performance, out of something better. Personally, I'd rather have a mid-level rod and top-grade line than the other way around, but I know plenty of people who disagree and think line development post 1965 has been pretty unimportant.
    -CC

Dang cross creek... I wish I had your skill at explaining the obvious in such a grand manner.
    Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by cross creek View Post
    This thread has gotten to the point where it's like asking if high dollar autos are worth it, or guns, or musical instruments, or horses--if you can afford nicer things and have the skill to appreciate them, why not? I'm pretty sure that if we leave this life with anything at all, it's a lot more likely to be memories of our great experiences than the money we saved. Will SS lines outlast average or other lines under most conditions (short of trampling with studded boots, dragging through rocks, and other assorted ways we destroy lines)?--yes. Will they turn a neophyte into an expert?--no. Are they worth it?--If you can afford a $70 line (the going rate for most other top lines), I think you can probably handle an additional $30, and I think that one of the many tapers now available in the SS line up will absolutely make your toes curl. If you're happy with $30 lines, and $75 rods, and $150 shotguns, etc, you'll think they're overpriced no matter how many people tell you otherwise, and that's fine, too. An expert fisherman can do a lot more with a bargain basement outfit than a beginner can do with the best tackle, but both will get more enjoyment and, to a varying degree, better performance, out of something better. Personally, I'd rather have a mid-level rod and top-grade line than the other way around, but I know plenty of people who disagree and think line development post 1965 has been pretty unimportant.
    -CC
    Basically it never has been the $$ with me. Ive never bought the latest and greatest that ever...I repeat EVER turned out to be as good " as advertised". After "it" has been on the market for a time and has undergone the typical improvements...THEN I buy.

Someone already has posted that "they" have changed the lines to reduce the "noise" ( I forget just how it was stated??) they generated...not that any sound it makes less than a full brass band would bother me...but its typical of "the latest and greatest" of anything.

How many times has the latest and greatest been a new series of say flyrod....the lineup which lasts 1 to 1 1/2 years and then disappears because it was superseded by the "next generation" ( i.e. the latest and greatest ).

I didnt work all those years to afford a "Mossberg" when a Browning O/U did the "job" a LOT better. Nor a Sage flyrod as compared to a Cortland kit combo. Motorhomes or "brides"...Im willing to work for them...hence I deserve the absolute best I can afford.

Default Peaches...

I just picked up a peach DT9F for $23 and i was just saying the other day that i still have the first peach someone gave me. Just floats like crazy and seems to wear well. I'll put it to the test on steel for a year and we'll see.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

+ Reply to Thread