+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clyde Style Flies

He used to have a dvd and it was on sale at Glasgow angling centre i Don't know if its still on their web site. Their mail order is very far from good and i don't know how they would handle posting state side. Davies a fair guy though as Rookie said you could download the video and put it onto a dvd. Send him an e-mail to see if you could get the dvd through him.

Default Clyde Style Flies

Newcomer? well maybe not so new I used to post here on occasion many years ago but simply fell away.Why? just happens sometime. Guess my name was deleted.
    See I am now a junior member with one post, well a start. Been a long time since I have been called junior.

To reply re the Magpie & Silver, this is classed as a night time fly & does not fall into the strictness that is the sparse daytime fly. Whilst looking more like a standard wet fly it still retains a somewhat sparser look than is peculiar to the genre.
    For anyone interested I have a few pages on my website about this style of flee (fly) & the fishings off.
    http://www.thehighlanderway.com
    If any of our American friends would like to see a few samples feel free to contact.
    The wee jpeg shown next is a standard Clyde Fly. Excuse the poor quality as it was done some years ago on a cheap flatbed scanner. As to doing well over there. I like a fly that "travels well" & these are no exception. Fish a wee winged wet as part of a two fly setup with a soft hackle or nymph on the tail. Fish the wet higher up, down & across in steamy or thin water Lift rod slowly at end of swing, move down a pace & recast. Look for takes as the fly swings round but beware a take on the dangle prior to lift off. Given the right pattern on the day they should do well. Might be a wee bit hard to hook as some takes can be splashy & contact can be fleeting but good fun never the less.

Blae & Black

Tight Lines
    Last edited by Highlander; 12-06-2009 at 01:34 PM.

Highlander,

Welcome back. Thanks for the explaination regarding the Magpie and Silver. I follow your posts on the UK board so am familiar with your great web site. Would love to see you keep posting here also.
    Steve

Welcome back, Alan. Good to see you here.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Here is a nice example of mine showing style. A suggestive pattern, nothing in particular but "Broonies " & Grayling have a liking for it on occasion.

Hook is slightly heavier than the norm but I tied it as a tail fly to get down a bit so no apologies for that.
    Oh & it is nice to be back.

Tight Lines
    Last edited by Highlander; 12-08-2009 at 09:24 PM.

Welcome back, Alan.

Long time no 'talk'...

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Very nice tie Alan. Thanks for posting the picture. I will tie up a few for my little neck of the woods.
    Steve

Cool Me too

And yet another Welcome Back - really nice to see you again.
    Hugs and all that stuff,
    LadyFisher

Blog Entries

I guess y'all know I never heard of Clyde Style Flies until I looked at this thread. Now I am gonna have to try some of these babies out...rotfl. Oh my you ought to see my TO DO tying list...it is growing daily. Highlander, great site. I loved the flies. Fly tying is such a dang obsession, but a rewarding one.

Hi Highlander,

I've visited your site many a time over the past few years and always enjoy it. Very nice tie, and I may just do a few up myself. I know a few places where I think they would do quite well. Anyway, nice to make your aquaintance and here's hoping you decide to stick around and share a wee dram while tales flow on into the night.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

+ Reply to Thread