+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dying Cork...

Blog Entries

Default Dying Cork...

Has anyone tried dying accents into a plain cork grip?
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

It is VERY difficult to get dye to take on cork. Just soaking it won't work. The closest you will get to a good penetration is with vacuum pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    Has anyone tried dying accents into a plain cork grip?
    No idea what your trying or wanting to accomplish....but Ive STAINED cork before with wood stain...straight out of the can.

Blog Entries

I hadn't thought of staining the whole grip, but that could be a nice way to color match the reel seat. I was shooting for a way to add accents to a plain grip. Just another way to make things a little sharper is what I was looking for.

I was thinking of spirit dyes like used for leather. Those would be similar to stain.

How did the stain take for you? I would think it would come out fairly dark. I have a cigar shaped grip I can try it on that I got somewhere. If it comes out double ugly, I can wrap it with rattan.

Stain a grip so the ends match your seat and then wrap the center with rattan. That could be really sharp.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    I hadn't thought of staining the whole grip, but that could be a nice way to color match the reel seat. I was shooting for a way to add accents to a plain grip. Just another way to make things a little sharper is what I was looking for.

I was thinking of spirit dyes like used for leather. Those would be similar to stain.

How did the stain take for you? I would think it would come out fairly dark. I have a cigar shaped grip I can try it on that I got somewhere. If it comes out double ugly, I can wrap it with rattan.

Stain a grip so the ends match your seat and then wrap the center with rattan. That could be really sharp.
    ??? Not sure what you mean by "accents"?? But I have done this.... Mounted a cork grip on a mandrel...and "turned it" ( spun it) with the lathe and using a fingernail file ( emery board).."ground down" a VERY SHALLOW area of "X" width ( length??) that I later on wrapped with thread! A "thread band" as it were

Use a couple of those cork rings for test pieces..for your staining...etc.

Cork actually stains a lot like wood. You can make it as dark or light as you want by controlling volume of stain. After staining, play with variuos grits of wet / dry paper, steel wool, or final burnish with the back side of the wet / dry. Very neat effects are possible. I finish off with a coat of U40 cork seal.

Blog Entries

That thread wrap thing is a cool idea, too.

I put the U40 Cork Seal on the first rod I made and it tooka rather blah piece of cork with very little to it that was interesting at all and really brought out the burl. The difference was like night and day.

I have a whole bunch of rather plain cork grips and wanted to dress them up a bit. That's what got me thinking about this. I have, on occasion, used spirit dyes to tint leather carvings. I was thinking it might be possible to do something similar with cork.

Anything to dress up the normally blah grip.
    Kevin

Kevin,

"Cork actually stains a lot like wood"

What about using a wood burning tool to make your accents?
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    Kevin,

"Cork actually stains a lot like wood"

What about using a wood burning tool to make your accents?
    Another good suggestion. That would allow for some pretty wild stuff. Hmmmm.....

I just got an idea I have to try. I should have something to show you folks in a few days.
    Last edited by kbproctor; 12-10-2009 at 04:04 PM.
    Kevin

Default Does the stain bleed out from the cork?

I have a question for the guys who have stained cork grips. Did the stain leach out of the grip onto your hands during a hard day of fishing? How about if you got something like bug repellant on the grip - would that cause the color to run?

Thanks,

Tom

+ Reply to Thread