+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Are the Super Lines Worth It???

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    To see a full grown man, decked out in thousands of dollars of top of the line waders, boots, vest, hat ... the full regalia ... standing on a man made dock, casting his top of the line rod, with the sharkskin line, from his top of the line large arbor reel ... all of about 15 feet, for the stocked trouts ....
    Well, it just doesn't get much better than that!!
    WHERE did you see ME ???...

One factor everyone is forgetting on the Sharkskin lines.

If it does give 3x or more life as advertized, then the line is a very good investment.

I have one in 5wt and it is fine, the noise is not a factor when the line is wet and you are fishing. In the shop parking lot,,, yes, it is very noticable.

Regards,
    FK

I have used a Sharkskin on a 10wt Scott s3s for the last 2 years for albie fishing. It is a pleasure to use in light wind and can add enough extra distance to get 2 extra casts at an erratic moving school of fish. It seems to pick off the water easier so less time to pickup for your next cast.

One day, a few weeks ago, with the wind cranking 20+ kts and the fish not showing themselves for very long, I was happy to hookup 4 fish that day. I like to think the line made some difference in those conditions.

With the costs of the trip, the charter and room and meals, the extra cost of the line is incidental and any advantage can make a difference whether you can hookup or not.

I couldnt care less about the sound and one fish took my clouser when i had my head turned and ran 15' of line past my joint on my first knuckle before i knew it and burned a bit. I had a bandaid on for a day and a story for fishing chat over a beer sometime.
    "She had hooks to make a fish think twice!" ---Chris Smither-"Lola"

Blog Entries

My question on the longevity of the line is...

Has anyone actually proven that it lasts that much longer? Documented actual hours of use versus actual hours of use with, say, an XPS or other line before they both wore out?

I hear a lot of people repeat the advertising claims, but...

And has anyone checked the inside of their tiptop to see what all that grating does to it? I wear them out with regular lines, just wondering if that scraping of the SS does the same thing.

Stirring the pot...

Quote Originally Posted by DG View Post
    And has anyone checked the inside of their tiptop to see what all that grating does to it? I wear them out with regular lines, just wondering if that scraping of the SS does the same thing.

Stirring the pot...
    Get an extra tip or two when you buy / build a new rod...and a stick of hot melt rod glue. Takes less than 5 minutes to replace it. Id be more inclined to think a dirty line(s) are the culprit.

My question on the longevity of the line is...

Has anyone actually proven that it lasts that much longer? Documented actual hours of use versus actual hours of use with, say, an XPS or other line before they both wore out?

I hear a lot of people repeat the advertising claims, but...

Stirring the pot...

Read Mojo's post on page two. I think he is talking about LANCE EGAN. He is on the USA fishing team and has put many, many hours on this line.

Blog Entries

Exclamation Small selection of SS lines on sale at Cabelas.

Just wandering through the Bargain Cave at Cabelas...

they have SS lines, WF3 Trout in Blue Heron, for $60, WF7 Trout in chartreuse for $60, and WF8 Trout in blue heron for $60.

And as for Mojo's post, I don't see any DATA on the longevity. Just secondhand anecdotes. Yes, his line lasted two years. I know people who have lines that are several years old. Then again, do any of us who fish a lot use only ONE fly line in a year's fishing? (I use at least three different weights over the course of a year, and go through two fly lines a year, sometimes three).

Did anyone actually KEEP TRACK? A log? X hours today, Y hours yesterday...

I am not saying that the claim is wrong, I am just asking if anyone has actually TESTED it in any quasi-scientific fashion. Until I can see some actual data, I remain a skeptic.
    Last edited by DG; 12-09-2009 at 12:42 AM.

Just wandering through the Bargain Cave at Cabelas...

they have SS lines, WF3 Trout in Blue Heron, for $60, WF7 Trout in chartreuse for $60, and WF8 Trout in blue heron for $60.

And as for Mojo's post, I don't see any DATA on the longevity. Just secondhand anecdotes. Yes, his line lasted two years. I know people who have lines that are several years old. Then again, do any of us who fish a lot use only ONE fly line in a year's fishing? (I use at least three different weights over the course of a year, and go through two fly lines a year, sometimes three).

Did anyone actually KEEP TRACK? A log? X hours today, Y hours yesterday...

I am not saying that the claim is wrong, I am just asking if anyone has actually TESTED it in any quasi-scientific fashion. Until I can see some actual data, I remain a skeptic.
    So wait another 5years when all the data is in and pay the $200 for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
    I must be doing something wrong then. I love it on the BIIX. Doesn't matter if it's dries or nymphs. But maybe the GPX is the difference.

I was using the trout Taper Sharkskin on my Winston BIIx rods and it doesn't perform at all with weighted flies. Maybe the GPX SS works better with weighted flies. The Rio Gold can handle everything I throw from very small flies to large streamers. The Sharkskin Trout Taper seemed to collapse with any kind of weight applied.

Ron

I do believe that issue is more a factor of the taper of the line than it being a sharkskin line.
    Dead fish don't make reel music.

+ Reply to Thread