+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What does fishing mean to you?

Default What does fishing mean to you?

Well, why do we do it? What is it about fishing, and fly fishing in particular, that drives us to endlessly obsess over the tiniest bit of minutia? Maybe some of you have it figured out. What does fishing mean to you?

For my own part, when I was a kid fishing was fun but I didn't fish for the fun of it. I fished because it was a rare chance to spend time alone with my father. I was kept interested by the prospect of just the two of us hanging out at the bait shop or bobbing along in a boat, camping at night. After my father passed away I fished occassionaly, but it wasn't the same anymore. In fact, I dare say I found it boring.

However, as time passed I found my way back to the water for my own reasons. Now it was fly fishing instead of jigging for crappie. What brought me back to it? Maybe it was the rhythm, the peace, the excitement, the outdoors, the challenge of solving a puzzle or all of those things together. Perhaps I'm looking to vanquish my inner deamons. Maybe it's simple recreation and it's wishful thinking to try and drag some higher meaning out of it all. At this point I don't think I could say for sure. One day I hope to understand the allure of moving water and it's hold on me. For now though, I'm just enjoying the journey.

JeremyH

JeremyH;
    Nice post, made me take some time to reflect on my reasons.
    I guess I feel much the same as you. I don't fish just To fish or To catch fish.
    I like to fish alone as much as I do with friends. I am a camper but would not camp without fishing. But, I do fish without camping.
    Sometime I'll take a book to the edge of my favorite stream and find a nice comfortable tree to lean back on and read. The sound of the stream is better than any sound system ever made.
    Why do I enjoy it so? I gave up on that and just enjoy it.

Life:
    L.A. traffic; cell phones; voicemail; Palm PDAs; deadlines; meetings; vendors; customers; quotas; invoices; SUVs; horns; clocks; TV news; radio news; newspapers; MTV; "reality" TV...need I go on?

Fly fishing:
    Solitude, peace, calm, excitement, family, friends, sunrises, sunsets, fishing stories, fishing reports, splash of rising fish, silhouetted hatches in the sun, morning mist on the water, tight loops, perfectly placed fly, singing birds, cool of the shade, warm breeze of the aftenoon sun, beauty of God's creation shown in the details of colored hills, cuts in bends of river and rainbow painted fish.

Quinn

------------------
    God Blesses!
    A wing & a Prayer! ----*<(((><~ ~ ~ ~
    Quinn

[This message has been edited by Wednesday Caster (edited 08 January 2006).]
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

Ultimate peace & tranquility. When flyfishing I totally relax. I set my own pace & just enjoy the sport & the beauty of my surroundings.
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

saved my sanity

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I don't have a clue why I do it. I just know I have to. I can't drive by a bar-ditch without wondering if there are fish in it!

I'm the kind of person that could walk out on a lake with a nude beach full of voloptuous woman all around, and my first though would be be "This would be a great place to fish!"

Back in my younger days in the Marines, when I used to drink, I got hammered one night and decided to go ice-fishing. I got an auger and equipment and found some ice. As I began to drill with the auger, a booming voice came out of the darkeness from all around. "THERE ARE NO FISH HERE!" I was shocked and looked around, but there was no one there. I returned to my drilling and once again heard the voice..."I TOLD YOU, THERE ARE NO FISH HERE!". Now I'm really scared, seeing nothing in the area. With trembling hands, I once more began to auger, but was again accosted by the voice..."FOR THE LAST TIME...THERE ARE NO FISH HERE!". In a small voice, I meekly asked " Are you God, trying to warn me of danger?" "NO!", boomed the voice. "I AM THE OWNER OF THIS HOCKEY RINK!.........

Semper Fi!

Fishing is the only thing I've ever done in my life that lived up to the expectations I had for it.

The fact that my hands still shake when I thread on a fly during a hatch leads me to believe it still does.

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 09 January 2006).]

For me it's the best way for me to get away from it all.

-ST

------------------
    [url=http://www.flyfishingwis.com:3b3c2]www.flyfishingwis.com[/url:3b3c2]

I'm getting along in years, (67), I have a wife, 9, 11, and 15 year old daughters, three dogs, and two cats. I dearly love them all, but every once in a while it's nice to get away from the crowd.

Bob

------------------
    There is a fine line between fly fishing, and standing in the water waving a stick.

+ Reply to Thread