+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry fly wings for beginners

Smile Dry fly wings for beginners

Has anyone experimented with a treatment of Antron or poly yarn for conventional wings on dry flies that will stiffen them up to behave more like calf hair or turkey flats. I realize that the synthetic fibers are inherently more water absorbing and limp but the material is so easy to tie in and separate. Suggestions appreciated.

Try hairspray.

Regards,
    Scott

Hi Scott - Hair spray is water soluble.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    Clear spray acrylic. Once it dries, it isn't water soluble anymore. Hair spray used to be nothing more than clear lacquer, which would also work.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Ray,

I've never had a problem with Antron wings soaking up water, but then most of mine are parachute. If it's soaking up water try a little mucellin. I've been using it as a fly/leader floatant for years with no complaints, fry flies float like corks.

Have you tried calf body hair for wings? Straighter than calf tail, stacks easily, posts up nicely.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Kunz View Post
    Ray,

Stupid me. I use it to give flies like EP baitfish a bit of body before I trim them; didn't think about the fact that it washes away. By the way, I like to use white EP fibers or Congo Hair for spinner wings because it sheds water so well. Hope you find what you're looking for.

Regards,
    Scott

In the last issue of Fly Tyer, someone showed some flies with a small bunch of deer or elk hair for a wing, tied in similar to an Elk Hair Caddis. Looked very simple, effective, and "buggy".
    Might be worth trying!

Smile

Pls don't get me wrong guys but I was in a related business. What the ladies call hairspray is a blend of a variation of water soluble Elmer's glue plus alcohol and a little perfume. If the ladies could not wash this out of their hair I'm sure you'd hear about it.

Ray,

This is just a thought, but would that treatment make the wings too stiff and end up with a fly that could twist the leader when cast? I would be worried that the coated Antron would behave like mallard quill slip wings.

- Alberto

Ray,

Poly shouldn't absorb any water at all. I use it often for dry fly wings when I actually decide to even use a separately tied in wing. It's about the only thing I like for posts anymore.

If you need it 'stiffer' find some that has a bit larger fibers. You can get poly from ropes and lines, and much of that is stiffer than the delicate stuff sold as 'poly yarn' for fly tying. Check your local dollar store. They usually have cheap 'poly rope' in an assortment of odd colors (I've found tan and olive there). Once you unbraid the stuff, you have a stiffer poly that will make excellent wings.

I'm not all that up on antron, but I didn't think it absorbs water either....just don't know, though.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

+ Reply to Thread