+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New blank build - color suggestions

Default New blank build - color suggestions

I just picked up a Batson Forecast blank/kit from H&H - 7 1/2' 4wt 5pc as a project over the winter months - I've wanted a "short" 4wt for some time.

I'm looking for suggestions as to thread colors that would look nice on the blank. The blank color is a deep/dark blue and in the past I've just used thread that is close in color to the blank - usually with color preserver but I'd like to see some other options that would go with this blank. Ideally if anyone can provide links to finished rods with various color combinations that would be ideal. Not sure if I'm going to do any kind of trim wrap or not.

Also, I'd like to see what happens to the thread wraps if I DON'T use color preserver.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

Blog Entries

I am doing a Batson blank now that I was told was dark blue but is a dark blue-green. Dangedest color to come up with a decent color combo for. I finally settled on black with a single turn of gray at each end. I have another one that is the same color. Sure wish I knew a way to change the color of a blank besides spray paint.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Thumbs up

Skondolf, I would try a royal blue, with metallic copper trim rings. No color preserver will make threads very dark, but give them depth of color. Of course, it will not have any effect on the metallic thread. Consider teal if you want a color that is more in the greenish vein, yet looks great when no color preserver is used.
    Tip: wrap a pencil with colors first, and you can see the actual color when no preserver is used!

Good luck!
    Jim

Born to fish - forced to work.

I have a customer that wanted a inexpensive fly rod done in BSU colors. I am wrapping in orange blue and white. Orange is the main color and it is comming out very nice. My sugesstion is to lay colors of thread as before mentioned on a pencil and then lay it next to the rod blank. You can actually do just about any color you want as long as you are pleased with it. That is one of the nice things about rod building. You are only limited as much as your imagination allows you to be.

Blog Entries

I wrapped several different shades of green and blue on this blank before placing guides and then took it out in the sun to see what was going to look "right" before settling on the black.

If you wrap on a pencil or the blank itself, then soak the thread with water, you will get a fair approximation of what the color will look like without color preservative. Not exact, but fair. Close enough to see if you are going to like it, anyway.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

I've built two using garnet w/gold metallic trim on one and black/white w/silver metallic trim on the other. I didn't use color preserver on either rod and (watch the modesty) they look great.

John

If you THINK you like a certain color(s)...wrap about 1/2 to 3/4 inch long on the butt end where you can remove it ( will have to remove it) to install the reel seat and cork grip. That way you'll see EXACTLY what it does on yoru blank. Try some WITH and some WITHOUT CP if you want to see even more difference.

Blog Entries

I've used cobalt, metallic blue, blue dun, metallic cobalt, and royal blue. I didn't try to match, just tried to complement the color.

That is a great blank. I've built several for family, friends and a couple of clients. They all love them.
    Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    I am doing a Batson blank now that I was told was dark blue but is a dark blue-green. Dangedest color to come up with a decent color combo for. I finally settled on black with a single turn of gray at each end. I have another one that is the same color. Sure wish I knew a way to change the color of a blank besides spray paint.

Kevin,

I've got one just like it. It looks blue at times, and green other times ,depending on the light. Haven't wrapped it yet but plan to use an aqua colored thread. They are good blanks for the money as ol blue stated.

Dave

Blog Entries

Here's one I did with a metallic blue wraps, gold trim and gold hardware.

Better to be an active environmentalist than and environmental activist.

FFMIRSWTNBOF
    (Full Fledged Member in Raunchy Standing-Within The NBOF)

+ Reply to Thread