+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Logic

Default Fly Logic

Two questions for you rod building pros as I am considering assembling a rod from scratch.

1. There is a lot of blanks for sale on Ebay that are made by Fly Logic. Any comments on their quality?

2. Please look at this link and give me your opinion. Worth buying? http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayCategory.aspx?CatID=104

Thanks, Tim

Default Fly Logic blanks...

I've got two Fly Logic reels and if their blanks compare at all you prolly can't go wrong. The link you posted shows 'overstock' but no name. I'd kinda want to know their origin. The free shipping is a plus though.

That said Tim, i'd be more inclined to go with H&H and not entirely because they're a sponsor here at FAOL, but because they have a great assortment of blanks and the service is unbeatable. For ideas, have a look back at my 'green' blank and kit i made up from H&H that i still haven't finished. (waiting for stainless guide set from Snake Brand since the rod will salt)

Also, feel free to pm me with any questions about the process once you get going...i'll do my best to help and to make suggestions about tools and so on. Not many tools are needed to build a rod and you prolly have all of them already.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Quote Originally Posted by Panman View Post
    Two questions for you rod building pros as I am considering assembling a rod from scratch.

1. There is a lot of blanks for sale on Ebay that are made by Fly Logic. Any comments on their quality?

2. Please look at this link and give me your opinion. Worth buying? http://www.flyshack.com/DisplayCategory.aspx?CatID=104

Thanks, Tim
    If I had never built a rod before i WOULD NOT buy a blank from E-Bay. No dealer support. Who do you go to to ask any sort of question? ALL of the dealers I have dealt with in past years were more than willing to take a few minutes to answer any question I had.

Once you get a few rods under your belt...well thats a totally different thing then. H&H as mentioned would be a good source to buy from at this point

I have bought the fly logic blanks off of ebay and they are of good quality. I like them a lot and have built a couple of rods on their blanks. The fly logic factory is located about 20 miles from me. I will get the dealer I go through on ebay who sales them. If you use him he is very reputable.

the blanks come from the fly fishing shop on ebay he is right here in Nampa and I have always had excellent service from him. The blanks are priced right and a med fast to fast action blank. The harley rod I built a couple of years ago and put pics on here was a fly logic. George still loves the rod and can lay out more line with that then any rod he owns.

I have also built a 6wt. It has worked well and is enjoyable to fish. Based on quality, I would have no problems buying another one. My only issue is while I have never had to use the warranty, according to their web-site it is a flat $75 charge. That is a bit steep for a $49 blank (depending on which one you buy). With quality companies like Batson who have a limited lifetime warranty, I think would rather get one of their blanks since they will stand behind their products better.
    Again, I really like the blank I got just not sure if I would do it again unless I consider it a no-warranty blank.

A bit late in replying (been sick the past couple weeks) so sorry for the late reply, but I've built around 20-30 rods on Fly Logic blanks. Pretty good blanks for the money. Their main three series are FLP, FLO, FLO+. Not sure if they still make the FLP series but I didn't care much for the FLP's. Pretty slow action and the butt diameter was HUGE on that series. A 5wt had a butt dia of about .440

The FLO and FLO+ are very nice though. Super fast action, nice finish and smaller more normal butt diameters. Pretty good place to deal with (fly fishing shop on ebay) but I know they did raise the prices last year. Use to you could get a FLO for well under $50 but last couple I bought from them we're about $70-$90 if memory serves correct. Havent bought one in about 4 months though so not sure what they are now.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread