+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couldn't pass this one up...

Default Couldn't pass this one up...

I finally visited another local Bait & Tackle shop just north of K.C., MO on Thursday. I was able to pick up a couple of squirrel tails, a couple of Wapsi bobbins, a knotless tapered leader, some black and olive chenille, all at very reasonable prices. However, the best buy was the 7'0" Eagle Claw FL 300 fly rod for a whopping $13.50... That's what I said, Thirteen dollars and fifty cents! I know it's made in China, and it's not "top-of-the-line." But, I just tried casting it out in the yard and it feels exactly like my favorite 7'6" Garcia. Now, if I'll be plodding off through the weeds or woods and don't want to risk my best rod, I'll risk the cheap one.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

did that rod come with a guarantee????

1 year warrantee against manufacturer defects.

Apparently these rods (Feather Light tm)are being replaced with a new model, Feather Light X-Stream tm.

I didn't see any of the new rods there, so I don't know what the price will be for them.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim

[This message has been edited by MOturkE (edited 06 January 2006).]

Mo, I've had one of the Eagle Claw FeatherLites for years. It's an amazing little fiberglass rod that can handle some fancy casting. Light and short, ideal for smallie fishing on small creeks.

There any more of those up there and where did you find them? I'm over in Lawrence and those might be good for teaching youth groups.

And I'm in Olathe!! Thought I'd been to all the fly shops in the area!! Would love to check that place out!

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I have one of those, but I got it for 20 bucks at a wally world. it's the little yella' one right?
    Youse are right about it doing some really nice casting for a 7' rod.

And don't worry about it being made in China. People in China fish too.
    I'm trying to turn them on to fly fishing one in-law at a time....

------------------
    There is a fine line between fly fishing and standing in a river waving a stick, and YOU SIR have crossed that line!
    It's.....Just....A.....Stick...!!

Sorry Jayhawk, the shop only had the one fly rod left. All the other Eagle Claw rods were spinning rods for less than $20. I think their starter kits were a bit cheaper than Wally World, though.

The shop is Roger's Lures in Liberty, MO on M-291. It's not a fly shop, it's a sporting goods store. The fly rods they have are on aisle 6. You could call them and ask if they'd be able to get more of them -the model number is FL300 and be sure to specify the fly rods. Eagle Claw used the same model number on the "Feather Light tm" spinning rods.

By the way, the rod took a little bluegill & small (9"?) rainbow stocker today using my favorite (blue & red) woolly worm. Also, two 9-10" LMB's using a calico clouser I got from the "Go-to-Bluegill" fly swap.

------------------

I got a very cheap outfit to keep in my truck at work. That way if I'm out and about and have the time and I see a little stretch of water that is just begging to be fished I have what I need.
    I have about $35 in mine.

Rusty <><

------------------
    if you wanna catch something ya gotta get a hook in the water

They sell those eagle claws rods at a close- out type store near me every spring.
    One year I bought one called a "Eagle Claw Granger Graphite", an 8.5' 5-6wt.
    It was a pretty good rod for $25.
    It's gone now.. my fault, not the rod's

If anyone is looking for a good cheap rod..
    H&H is has Pflueger Purists at closeout. Around $30

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 08 January 2006).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread