+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ll Bean Rod Blank

Default ll Bean Rod Blank

I am lusting for a short 3wt 2pc rod. I really like the action of the LL Bean Streamlight 6'6" 3wt 2pc rod, but want to build it myself. I can't seem to find any references as to who makes their blanks. Any ideas where I can find this rod blank?
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Drop a PM to Ed (Heritage Angler on FAOL) and see if he can help you with this. He has been very helpful on many occasions for me on LL Bean products.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

betcha a nickle it's a G Loomis
    That's what they've used for years and years
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

LL Bean does not divulge who makes their rods, but several people have indicated they are GLoomis. I don't know if this is true, but it doesn't matter anyway since it is probably on a proprietary design for LL Bean and the blank would not be available anyway.

The best way to find a blank that is similar is to get the CCS data on the LL Bean rod and try to match it with a comparable blank. Of course, this assumes you can get accurate data on the LL Bean rod.

Personally, I would give up trying to match a specific rod and get a Tiger Eye 6' or 7' 3wt (or their new GF/P4-66-2/3, which is a 6' 6" 2/3 wt, 4 piece rod), a Rainshadow 6'6" 2wt, or an America Tackle Matrix 6' 6" 2wt. A 6' 6" 3wt is hard to find.
    Last edited by dunfly; 11-23-2009 at 05:42 PM.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Blog Entries

Angler's Workshop has several workable blanks.

http://www.anglersworkshop.com/categ...spx?catid=2223

That takes you to the 2 piece blanks. There are a bunch of blanks listed that should work.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Thanks for the info and the ideas! Now, I'm thinking I might use my lathe and make a wood grip for this little rod. May be a fun project!
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

+ Reply to Thread