+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bamboo Restoration Project

Blog Entries

Question Bamboo Restoration Project

I picked up an old LM Dickson bamboo rod. The cane is in great shape but a couple of guides were mashed and the seat was dented. It is a 3 piece rod with 2 tips. Both tips are in fine shape. The varnish was scratched and chipped as one might expect but no damage to the cane itself. The ferrules are tight if not real pretty, but serviceable. All in all this will make a nice bamboo rod for someone when finished.

I measured guide locations, removed the guides, sanded the varnish smooth, and got it ready for refinishing. Now for the seat. I heated and cooled for over an hour with no luck. I finally got out the cutoff wheel and ever so gently sliced the seat. I was being extremely careful so as not to damage the cane. When I finally got the old seat off, this is what I found.

Another view...

Cane goes in the other end of the grip....

The wood measures .664" in diameter. I take it I am going to have to whittle or turn that down to get a new seat on it. I have no idea how far the wood goes into the grip, if at all, or how far the cane extends towards the butt of the rod. The wood is not very hard. I might be able to chuck it in my drying motor and slowly work it down with a light rasp or file to get it small enough to get a seat on. I have a nice Xylosma Wood seat with sliding bands for it. The insert can be bored out a little, but the butt has to be smaller, too.

Has anyone else run into this kind of thing and how did you handle it?
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    I picked up an old LM Dickson bamboo rod. The cane is in great shape but a couple of guides were mashed and the seat was dented. It is a 3 piece rod with 2 tips. Both tips are in fine shape. The varnish was scratched and chipped as one might expect but no damage to the cane itself. The ferrules are tight if not real pretty, but serviceable. All in all this will make a nice bamboo rod for someone when finished.

I measured guide locations, removed the guides, sanded the varnish smooth, and got it ready for refinishing. Now for the seat. I heated and cooled for over an hour with no luck. I finally got out the cutoff wheel and ever so gently sliced the seat. I was being extremely careful so as not to damage the cane. When I finally got the old seat off, this is what I found.

Another view...

Cane goes in the other end of the grip....

The wood measures .664" in diameter. I take it I am going to have to whittle or turn that down to get a new seat on it. I have no idea how far the wood goes into the grip, if at all, or how far the cane extends towards the butt of the rod. The wood is not very hard. I might be able to chuck it in my drying motor and slowly work it down with a light rasp or file to get it small enough to get a seat on. I have a nice Xylosma Wood seat with sliding bands for it. The insert can be bored out a little, but the butt has to be smaller, too.

Has anyone else run into this kind of thing and how did you handle it?
    What type of reelseat you wanting? I saw some the other day online..that were all metal ( different color anodizing) that measured .760 inside

Blog Entries

This is what I got for it.

It can be bored out some but the wood would still need to be turned down some.

I would prefer a downlocking seat, and cost is a factor.

Do you know where you saw that seat?
    Kevin

Sorry it's beyond my experiance. If you dont' know how far the cane extends on the wood you might have problems if you turn it down too much. I would also be very careful about reaming out the reel seat. I have split reel seats trying to ream them with a drill press and bit. As soon as the bit catches it puts a lot of outward force on the thin wood.

You might try taking it to Rick's Rods in Denver, they do a lot of cane restoration work and might have seen this before. At least they could set you up with some vintage snakes guides. Here is a link to thier web site...

http://www.ricksrods.com/index.html

Kevin,
    Before you go doing something to the rod, check with Joel Lemke of Lemke Concepts. lemkeconcepts@q.com. He's the person who created the beautiful reel seats I got for my next few builds. He can bore out .50 with no problem (for the cane/glass people), and may be able to bore a bit bigger for you. Prices are fantastic (PM me if you'd like prices). Certainly worth the ask. He's delightful person to work with; conscientious, quick, quality!
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Don't know if it would be an option for you, but I had the same situation as yours and just shined up and finished the wood and put a cap and ring on it and it works fine - kind of antiquy looking.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    Don't know if it would be an option for you, but I had the same situation as yours and just shined up and finished the wood and put a cap and ring on it and it works fine - kind of antiquy looking.
    I did think of that. I have another seat that is an aluminum skeleton with an aluminum insert that would have worked this way. However, the wood is very fibrous and I was having a terrible time getting it smooth instead of incredibly hairy looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Kevin,
    Before you go doing something to the rod, check with Joel Lemke of Lemke Concepts. lemkeconcepts@q.com. He's the person who created the beautiful reel seats I got for my next few builds. He can bore out .50 with no problem (for the cane/glass people), and may be able to bore a bit bigger for you. Prices are fantastic (PM me if you'd like prices). Certainly worth the ask. He's delightful person to work with; conscientious, quick, quality!
    Betty
    Too late! Inspiration hit last night after I went to bed. This is what I came up with.

The 'boo rod is an old Japanese rod that I have a total of $10 in. I figured I could afford to take some risks. I got to thinking that the worst that could happen was that the bamboo ended near the back of the grip and that the wood was mostly an extension for the reel seat. If worst came to worst, I would have stripped off the grip, whittled the wood off the 'boo, and extended the 'boo with a chunk of broken spinning rod or whatever I needed to use to get the seat on it again. As it turned out, the wood was part of the seat as far as I can tell. The 'boo came back to about an inch from the end of the grip area in the photo. I had to cut half of that off (excess wood, not 'boo) to get the seat to fit anyway. I have the new seat I posted the picture of fitted, but not glued. The grip gets wrapped in rattan. A cane grip for a cane rod.

This rod is 8' 6" long. I have not used the Common Cents system to see what weight it turns out to be, but I am guessing around 5 as it sits. I am using a bit more modern snakes on it so that the rod is not limited to silk line or Cortland Sylk due to the size of the guides, 3 of which were mashed anyway. These are only 1 size larger but will accommodate modern lines with no problem. The guides match the seat as they are TiCH. I will be using the oversized winding check from the first rod. It is perfect for this one. Rattan wrap on the grip and maroon thread with metallic black accents. I have a fun inlay in mind, but have to see if I can work it out that tiny.

Conventional? No, but I am rarely accused of being conventional. It will make a nice rod for someone.
    Kevin

Default Lemke Concepts

The seats look like the Sweetgrass reel seats??? thats very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Kevin,
    Betty
    Ya gots a link to his website ?
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Blog Entries

I forgot I had this thread going on this rod. Here is the finished project. I call it my ninja rod.

Kevin

+ Reply to Thread