+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Winston vs. Wright & McGill boron

Default Winston vs. Wright & McGill boron

After fishing a couple of buddies WbIIx 6 wt rods out of my drift boat and float tube, I have decided to take the expensive plunge into boron rods. I like everything about the bIIx except the price including the light weight, forgiving action with oustanding performance. That being said, I ran accross an article about the Wrght & McGill Boron 5Xe and am interested in comments from anyone familiar with these rods. From a price standpoint, its a no brainer (almost half) but I have never fished the rods. I know the simple answer is to go to a shop and cast one, but given my current location it would cost about the difference to go test the rod in travel expenses, so I would likely as not just stick with the one I know. Any help would be appriciated.
    regards,
    Two

Winston hands down. It's not a matter of just using boron in the rods, but rod taper, scrim, etc. W&M rods just simply cannot compare to the Winston BIIX. Well, that's this year. My flyshop told me Winston's long time rod designer quit. That makes no boo boys, no veteran graphite designer...

For me, I'd look at a Scott G2 or a Sage TXL. Cast 'em both before you buy the Winston.

B.

Thanks Hoochman,
    My main rod is a Sage 6 wt-2 pc-9' XP. I love the rod and will keep it, but something lighter and high performance with more "managable" action for everyday is in order. The XP has been great on the Bighorn and Missouri for throwing streamers, but I would like to add another more versital rod. Besides, I just want the Winston!
    Thanks again.

While the Winston BII is a fine rod, I wouldn't necessarily call it more "versatile" than an XP. Softer tip and a more progressive bend means is acts like a slower/softer rod...that is, a slower/softer rod than an XP, not relative to a "regular" Winston. Good rod for lighter work, probably better for throwing dries, but the softer tip means, in my experience, a slightly slower set on an indicator, not as much push in the wind, and the progressive bend means not as much backbone when fighting a large fish. I have no experience with the Wright-McGill, but I find unlikely one can make a rod every bit as good as a Winston for half the price. I too have always wanted a Winston boron rod but more as a complement to my Sages, not as a substitute. After all, we all only need one more rod...
    Last edited by whatfly; 11-21-2009 at 10:51 PM.

I agree. I still own a few IM6 Winstons, but bought the BIIx and didn't really like it. I wound up selling it and bought a Scott G2.

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Isn't Wright and McGill the Eagle Claw company?

I have an Eagle Claw fiberglass fly rod that I've owned for 30 years or so, and still fish with it.

If they make the Boron rods as good as they did this one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I have always had good luck with Eagle Claw products.

+ Reply to Thread