+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preparing Guide Feet

Default Preparing Guide Feet

I've searched FAOL and I can't find a tutorial on preparing guide feet properly. If anyone can direct me to a link I'd be thankful. I've looked at Al's but he doesn't really go into detail.
    Thanks,
    Bruce

Blog Entries

I would like to see one as well.

I have been using a Dremel tool with a diamond burr to smooth the top side only (to keep the bottom nice and flat). Then I use a pair of smooth jaw pliers (4" small, lightweight) to tweak the feet of the snakes or double foot guides so they line up and are tight against the blank with no pressure.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Can I assume that you are talking either 2 footed or single footed snakes??

Take a typical 2 footed snake guide. If you look at it close...its ground to a taper in one plane at the end ( and then not all that great a grind job) I use ( used) a slow speed grinder ( 1725 rpm) and holding the snake guide by the opposite foot...lay the foot to be ground on the wheel ( 8 inch diameter and 1 inch wide....about 120-200 grit) and "roll" the foot. Sort of grinding the foot to a "cone" ( Hard to explain) Then of course when your done with both sides..set it aside and do them all...then you have to come back and file off gently..and grinding flash you may have created.

The idea is to create a nice transitional surface...free of any burrs ( of course) and no "edges"....and that way the thread will "flow" ( sort of) over the foot.

Hope that helps a tad??

See how the feet of this stripping guide have no sharp corners ..etc...etc...

Thats what your looking for...smooooooth transitions

Once you get the foot ground, rub the foot against your upper lip. You will know real quick how good of a grinding job you did!

Brad

Default 2-foot fly guides

Sorry. I was referring to 2-foot snake guides for fly rods.

Blog Entries

So were they. The foot still needs to have the shape of the feet on that stripper.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Lastchance,

The concept is the same, regardless of the type of guide used.

Sully's photos mimic how I try to do it...you want a nice shallow taper that allows the thread to transition smoothly from the blank onto the guide foot. The top of the foot should be gently rounded. The feet should finish at 'equal' lengths for a double foot guide, and you want to try to get single foot guides of the same size to finish at the same length (most do NOT come from the factory with equal length feet).

I grind with a cordless dremel and fine sanding drum to start, then finish with a softer 'fiber wheel' to deburr and smooth. The finished guide foot should be smooth with no sharp deges.

I use padded pliers to gently bend the foot so that it lays absolutely flat onto the blank.

Doing all of this properly takes some time, but it's well worth the effort. The warps will go on easier and look smoother and more professional. Properly prepared feet protect delicate graphite blanks from being nicked by burrs (about 30% of home built rod failures can be traced to improperly prepared guide feet). Properly tapering the guide feet will allow them to flex better with the blank (small detail, true, but still 'there') Plus, the rod will look better.

Many guides will be listed as 'preground'. None are done correctly, though, and many have burr or sharp edges that require attention before wrapping. I've never seen a rod guide, even the $7 to $10 ones, come with properly prepared feet. I always look at guide preparation first when someone shows me a home built rod. How well that is done will tell you more about the skill of the builder than any other component.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default Guide foot shape?

I have spent way more time than I would like to admit, re doing the feet of poorly made guides.
    Several years ago I switched to nothing but Snake guides. I have wrapped many onto rods since I obtained my first Snake. Never have I had to re do any of the Snakes. They come perfect right out of the package.
    I have not always been pleased with the slope on the Strippers, feet. Mike was visiting the Ranch several years ago and I complained to him. Actually got out one of them from my inventory and showed him what I felt would be better. A few weeks later he must have changed things because in the mail I had one of the "New models" which I found to be perfect.
    I really did not like to spend the time grinding them and then polishing. If you grind you will see the plating has been ground off the foot through the material you use to do your finish. (I build mostly Bamboo) Most my my wraps are semi clear and the foot can be seen through the epoxy or Spar Varnish I use.

If you start out with a sub standard guide foot you are missing the boat. (only my perception) I feel that Snake brand is the best and even though they may cost a bit more than some others I find the little extra more than makes up for the time spent modifying and the aggravation. I can lay down 100 Snake guides of one size and find each one is an exact duplicate of all the rest. They are well made!

I vote for Snake Brand Guides. I do not need to grind and polish my guides before I install them.

Denny

I wonder about the shape of the feet - the picture shows pointed ends, but the snake guides come squared off - I kind of round off the point after I create it, sort of in between a point and a blunt end - anything goes?

+ Reply to Thread