Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If you think I'm right, tell me. If you think I'm wrong, tel

I would avoid your camp but I avoid all camps I come across along the river. Mainly out of respect for those camping and the other reason would be prudence. I basically don't trust anyone anymore. Caution first. If you invited me over to your camp, I would politely decline your invitations.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

My first reaction would be disappointment that someone would set up such a thing in my "church", and I would find another place to fish/worship without such a distraction.

Bill

Hi Lotech,

The idea you are presenting is a good one and is a great way to introduce people to the Lord. Like a couple of other replys that you have gotten here, I think you may be going way overboard with your advertisment. I think the Christian Fish symbol would be plenty and might even spark some interest from people who would normally not come near. As far as giving out fly rods to people, once the word got out that there was a guy at the river giving out free fly rods you would have a line up a mile long and not for the right reason. I think the idea of the fly tying at a table over a coffee would be of interest to alot of people.
    I am a board member of a Christian Camp and I know we try to do exactly what you are trying to do. You are heading in the right direction. We will keep you in our prayers. [url=http://canoecovechristiancamp.org/index.shtml:3bbc2]http://canoecovechristiancamp.org/index.shtml[/url:3bbc2]

Thanks,
    Alan (salmonguy)
    Catch & Release Works...

That's worldly "flash and show", just as you are commanded to go into your closet and pray in private not in public as the heathens do, so should you live your life in such a manner that people you contact want to be around you and find out what you have that they're missing.

It's better to have substance.....than credentials.....

Respectfully, Jim

Lotech,

I beleive the best way to bring people to Christ is to live in such a way that people want to know what makes you so happy...what makes you such a kind, caring, and thoughtful person. I think that a more subtle approach (at least to the tent design) is best.

Instead of making your tent a "billboard for Christ" why not paint that Christian fish symbol (not too large) on the side of your tent where it can be seen by passers-by. Also, a sign that says "Angler's Welcome" might invite others in. This way, you've sent a clear message about your faith, but you've not whacked us over the head with it. You've also extended a kind invitation to those passing by.

I would not attempt to preach the gospel to your guests, simply show them Christian warmth and friendship. Be kind, and thoughtful, and offer your guests coffee, hot chocolate, a snack, a beer (I don't believe it's a sin to have a "drink"), or whatever. Talk about things other than Christ and faith(you are presenting a model of Christian life to your guest, not preaching to him/her). When your guest goes to leave, thank them for sitting with you and let them know you have a gift for them. Present them with a bible and wish them the best of luck with their fishing. If they take the Bible, great! If they don't, don't force the issue. People are called to Christ, and today might not be the day they hear that call...it may come days, weeks, or years later, but your actions will have been a part of that call to Christ.

I'm probably the type of person you'd like to have at your camp fire (I was raised in the church, but left it many years ago). If, as a passer-by, I saw the tent you described, I would immediately classify you as a religious nut, and pass by without stopping.

If your aim is to bring people to Christ, keep it simple (as Christ did).

I have tried three times to figure out how to respond nicely. Here is my best effort. Hope you are not offended.

I don't like people prosteletizing to me and find it offensive when they attempt to invade my space.

I don't like it when evangelists come to my door and don't take my simple no for an answer.

When I go to the water it is the closest thing I know to going to church or communing with that power I will refer to as god.

Your coming and invading (which is how your idea would feel to me) is like bringing your church into my church and making me deal with it. I have made a decision long ago about my relation to christianity and should I want to change that relationship I will go and do it. You need not come to me.

I hope that you find other ways to meet your need to reach out to others.

jed

I have been sitting back and thinking about how to respond to this as well. First off, I don't believe that Lotech ever said that he was going to approach anglers on the water and attempt to preach to them. He said that he wanted to provide a place to discuss God around the campfire. I do not see anything wrong with that.

As others have said, the tent is way over the top and would probably scare many people. A simple cross on the side of the tent would be sufficient. A small sign that said "Friends Welcome" or something like that would also be good. If you are set up in a campground you could meet many hikers, photographers and others that would be interested in talking with you.

The fly rod idea...I just do not like that at all. It seems as though you are trying to buy people for Jesus. Your intentions are good, but I just do not see how it will help the overall end of your plan. People who are seriously looking for spiritual help won't need a free fly rod and people who are looking for a free fly rod probably wont be seeking spirituality from you. If you really want to give something out, why not print up some stickers that your visitors could place on their cars or trucks.

Anyways, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

------------------
    -Kyle-

The reason some of us fish on Sundays is that we prefere the company of fish .... as aposed to church folks. But have fun with it if you do it. I'll pass.

Regards
    Rich

9. Default

Did Christ rely on big signs to attract attention? I don't think so.

What I'm suggesting is to use the "KISS" principle - Keep It Simple Stupid (please don't take that personally), but the phrase is applicable to the situation.

Actions speak louder than words - or tents with signs, crosses and biblical quotations. That would make me, as a christian, head in another direction.

Lotech,
    You would be coming across way to heavy for me. When I'm fishing I'm not looking for a sermon or to be preached to and that is what your tent site would suggest to me.
    A simple sign offering free coffee and fishing information would hook you many more subjects. In fishing for men as in fishing for fish you need to be much more subtle. Then, as they are drinking coffee and their curiosity is aroused you can broach you beliefs and see where the conversation takes you.

Closed Thread