+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wet Flies and Bergman's "Trout"

Default Wet Flies and Bergman's "Trout"

I'm currently reading Ray Bergman's book "Trout", and I'm getting the impression that wet flies held an important place in the early-to-mid twentieth century fly-fisherman's arsenal. There are nearly 400 wet fly patterns in the prints, only twenty or so nymphs, and maybe fifty streamers. But in books today, wet flies are only rarely discussed.

So what happened? Were they more popular in the past? Were they found over time to be less sucessful than other forms and then phased out? Are the newer styles and flies better at catching fish, or fishermen? Is anyone out there still a wet fly devotee?

I know this book is held in high regard, and as I'm reading it I can see why. It certainly has me thinking, but am I thinking correctly, ...or am I all wet?
    Dave

No they are making a big comeback. If you read Bergmans Just Fishing there is also alot on wet fly fishing. Many sites have areas for Classic Wet flies now, Don Bastian has been teaching class's in tying them and there's more than a few folks right here on FAOL who tie and fish them.

Fatman

I fish practically nothing but wet flies. They've been catching trout for the last 2000 years and still do.

When the "match the hatch" mentality kicked in (and I'm not knocking that)
    fisherman wanted to know exactly what it was the fly matched. That's a lot easier to do if you can say that fly is nymph, that fly is an emerger, that fly is a spinner, etc. Somehow the fact that you could match all three stages with same fly got lost in the rush to make flies as specific as possible.

About ten years ago or so, I noticed that there wasn't a single wet fly listed in the Orvis catalog, and I wondered pretty much the same thing you are. Why were they replaced? I caught fish on them as a boy, and I still carried a few leadwing Coachman, but hadn't really fished them myself in decades.
    Thinking that it was a shame to let a tradition die out, I decided to fish only flies that were around before the second world war, and only wet flies and streamers from those. It was a real leap of faith to tie on a wet when trout were rising all about to an obvious hatch, but the results were a revelation. I caught at least twice as many trout as in any of the previous three years. I was catching fish when all those around were getting skunked.

I subsequently found out that there were a lot of other people who were starting to think like me. Dave Huges published his book Wet Flies -- which I highly recommend. I discover that there's a fairly large community of wet fly fishers out there. They tend to be more experienced fishers, if for no other reason than at least have to be able to tie a wet fly, since they're not readily available at most shops. And you need just as much knowledge of insect to fish a wet effectively as you do a dry, and that knowledge seems to be easier to come by fishing dries where you can see what's going on.

Bergman rocks! I'm currently re-reading Trout from cover to cover after twenty five years (other than gawking at the plates). I'm still learning from him.

Give wets a try. They do work.
    Bob

Blog Entries

Those old wets are what really got me tying. I love to tie them. They not only work, they are tiny little works of art. There is something about a well dressed traditional wet that makes it elegant in it's simplicity.

This site has a feature, "Just Old Flies" that has some of the best tutorials and histories of these old flies you will find.

Another fantastic source of patterns and tutorials is http://www.traditionalflies.com/ which is maintained by board member eaustin. Eric also writes many of the "Just Old Flies" articles. His tutorials have helped me TONS and the techniques have transferred to many other types of flies.

Fish get the vast majority of their diet underwater. It make sense that wets were the primary fly fished for so many years.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Normand Guest

i dont think they ever left, just fewer folks using them. a resurrection of sorts has been going on for quite awhile.

Talking wet flys

I learned to fish and tie wets and streamers 43 years ago,at age 11.
    They still are 98 percent of my fishing, and still catching as well also.
    Still fish a cast of three wets for most fishing.

Wet
    Working Trout Bum

I think wet flies were used more in the past because the quality of the tying material wasn't nearly as good as it is now. How do you tie a nice dry fly if all you can get your hands on are grade B necks with very few smaller feathers?

Here's a plug for Don Bastian's Classic Wet Flies reviewed here. Among other things it has a wonderful tutorial on marrying wings for classic wet flies. A good bang for your buck IMHO.
    mcsteff

Hi,

My name is Jeff. I'm a wet fly fisher for many years now. I fished a wet fly on my last fishing trip and, to be entirely honest, I'm pretty sure I'll fish a wet fly the next time I go out too.

There are a lot of "fashions" in fly fishing. Wet flies, for whatever reason, went out of fashion a while back. Not sure why as they can be very effective. I think one reason was that they can be very effective searching patterns, you swing them through likely holding water, and fish a lot of water that looks like it should hold fish, but in the end, you aren't fishign to a fish. You've not seen the fish. So, people who enjoyed dry fly fishing, or casting a nymph to a sighted fish, would describe this as "fishing blind" or "chuck and chance it". It's not "real fly fishing" because it's not the method they like, and for some reason people often feel that it's important that you like their method as much as they do. Moreover, it seems that liking what they have to say seems to require disliking something else (in this case, the systemtic fishing of water you learned through experience and observation was good fish territory - a bit more skillful sounding than "fishing blind", which you are not since you've been observing the water, and "chuck and chance it", which all fishing is, since fish refuse nymphs and dries as well; and actually, fishing wet flies to sited fish is a lot of fun, and a huge challenge too).

Anyway, wet fly fishing, which can be down stream swings, or up stream casts with dead drifts, etc, can be very rewarding and at times will out fish other methods. Some of the presentations, like the down and across, are easy to learn so make for a good starting point. I suppose this can make some view it as a "begginers" method only, which is not really true.

I recomend people learn to fish wet flies as well as dries as well as nymphs. I personally don't fish dries and nymphs as often as I should, and there are times that results in me not catching a fish. But then, I've had days where the shoe was on the other foot.

Wet flies, which come in the wingless and winged category, both of which can also be divided into collar hackles and palmers, are still very effective at fooling trout.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Thanks everyone for the responses! I think I'm going to learn how to tie some of these and put them to the empirical test. Good little project for the winter months. Anyone have any suggestions of some simple patterns? Ones with fairly common materials?

I really like the idea of keeping a tradition alive.
    Dave

+ Reply to Thread