+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regulation Changes in PA for 2006

Default Regulation Changes in PA for 2006

The PA Fish Commission changed the rules for Trout Fishing in 2006 and eliminated the Heritage and Delayed Harvest Fly Fishing Only designations. The new designation which combines the old Heritage and Delayed Harvest Fly Fishing Only monikers is Catch & Release, Fly Fishing Only.

That means that places like Clark?s Creek & the Bushkill are now totally catch & release so there should be more fish at the end of the season. Not that Clark?s needs any more fish but the Bushkill can get sparse toward the end of the year.

Also the barbless hook requirement is no more for former Heritage waters like the Little Lehigh, Letort, Slate Run, Falling Springs, etc.

The bad news is that unless local restrictions prevent it; wading will be permitted in the Little Lehigh and Fisherman?s Paradise. I have been assured that it won?t happen on the Little Lehigh since the City of Allentown owns the property and has no intention of allowing wading but I have no idea about Fisherman?s Paradise.

Despite proposing elimination; they also left in effect the time restrictions of one hour before sunrise; one hour after sunset for the Catch & Release FFO waters so I guess I?ll still be breaking the law when I keep those late hours on the late spring evenings.

2. Default

I fished Fishermans Paradise yesterday, Jan 2, and the NO WADING signs and rules were still in full effect. It's been years since I fished that section of Spring Creek, and I forgot how tough no wading can be!

Not being at all familiar with your waters I am wondering why they have a no wading rule. Is it that there is such a large number of fishermen that we/they destroy the bottom of the rivers?

I also wonder why they removed the barbless hook restriction. Were there complaints about it?

jed

jed:

As far as the barbless rule goes; the Commission's decision was based on a combination of complaints and a lack of definitive evidence from studies showing an overwhelming difference between the mortality rate of trout caught on barbed versus barbless flies.

The wading thing I have no idea about except that at least in the case of the Little Lehigh; it would reduce the mortality rate of wading fishermen who pi$$ off bank fishermen fishing the same hole.

[This message has been edited by Bamboozle (edited 03 January 2006).]

As far as the barbless hook ruling goes, I asked a Fish Commission Employee and the response was if you crush down the barb on your hook, is barbless or is it still a barbed hook with the barb crushed? It sounds like semantics but that was the answer.

Dear Jed,

The no-wading rule is only in effect on two streams in PA. The first one is Spring Creek at Fisherman's Paradise. Fisherman's Paradise was "built" in the 1930's as a testament to stream improvement devices. It used to be stocked heavily with monster trout and fished even more heavily. Nowadays it is populated with wild trout. I'm sure there are a few old timer's who post on this board who remember the old days at Fisherman's Paradise and the huge crowds. If I can find a picture of Fisherman's Paradise I will post it.

The other no wading stream is the Little Lehigh. It is a tremendously popular stream in easy driving distance of about 10 million people when you count NJ and PA. The only no wading stretch is within a City Park. The Little Lehigh also has a fine wild trout population. If wading were to be permitted I think the stream would be seriously harmed due to the fishing pressure.

I kind of enjoy the no wading rules, but I'm sort of an old ****. The no wading rules force you to be creative and learn how to cast and approach fish if you want to be successful.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

I think they should have more places on creeks where no wading is allowed. It helps the trout feel more at home and unharmed. Also some of the people that wade in the waters eat and drink stuff then just throw it in the water, because they don't feel like getting out to the bank to throw it away. Thats just my opinion.

Have the rules changed for the areas marked as "Delayed Harvest, Artificials Only" changed as well?

Dear Buckeye,

Except for a couple of changes of the streams in the Delayed Harvest ALO waters there have been no changes to the rules.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

I can't imagine that anyone would think it would be an improvement to allow wading at Fisherman's Paradise.

John

+ Reply to Thread