+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (not FF) Just wondering ...

Default (not FF) Just wondering ...

... how hard it would be for me to replace the compressor in my refrigerator. Way too new to be replacing the entire fridge, but the compressor sounds like it's trying to leave the unit through the kitchen floor! I had someone come out (repair guy) and estimate he could replace it for what a new refrigerator would cost!! Surely there's got to be a way to repair what I have without either breaking the bank or buying a new one! I am pretty handy .
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I think your biggest worry will be what to do with the refrigerant(pretty dangerous) when you disconnect the lines. Other than that it should be pretty straight-forward(I'd guess ).

Had to 'remove the refrigerant' when I took a fridge to the dump. Long-story short.....it can release rather drastically.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Blog Entries

Default Most fridges have warranties?

usually 5-10 years.

the labor putting the thing in and after that would only have a year warranty more than likely.

I see a new fridge in your future.

Been there, done that. It's a pressurized closed loop system so you have to cut and solder the connections.

I would have someone else look at it because it may be a simple matter of a broken mount or loose hardware that's causing your vibration. In my experience when a compressor goes, it's because it lost a seal or won't keep the refrigerant and vents it off.

YMMV
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Did he give you any kind of breakdown on the estimate as to cost of parts versus labor? Some parts have such a high retail price it just doesn't make any economic sense to do the repairs. This is probably most often the case if the part is discontinued in current models. If a great part of the cost was labor then I would start by googling that model and see what comes up. maybe add "repairs" and try it again.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Warranties? 10 year ... this unit is 12 years old!!
    Everything sounds loose! Remember when they had little rubber feet that kept them from shaking the house?
    Pressurized? Soldering?
    Think a new freezer on the bottom would be just dandy!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Betty,

I think it's time for a new fridge. It's been my experience that 'one' repair isn't all you'll need...once you put in something 'new' some of the other 'old parts' will get angry for removing their life long colleague and rebell against the newcomer. This will lead to more trips by the repair guy, who knows that the waranty is expired. I can't prove it, but I think the repair guys might be enciting an old parts rebellion with each trip to the back of the fridge.....

Unlike fly rods, home appliances just aren't intended to last more than a decade, if that long, anymore. If you've gotten over ten years of service from your unit, it's probably worn to the point where it will cost more to fix it than buy a new one. Add in that it's probably more costly to run than a new one, too.

Plus, it's fun to buy something new, right?

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Blog Entries

I studied Refrigeration 20 years ago, never really worked in the field... a 12 y/o fridge in these years is about life expectancy, things are built to wear out. That said, in my experience compressors usually work or they don't they don't make a lot of noise when they die. It might be worth having someone else come look at it. (especialy if the first person worked for someone who sells fridges)

To replace it you would need a licence to work with the refrigerant in order to buy it, then you would need to take out the old compressor, braze in the new compressor with silver braze, fit in a line dryer, put it on a vacume pump for 24 to 48 hours to evacuate the system from any moisture that entered when you opened the system. then you charge the system with refrigerant, and check for leaks, baring leaks you can then have almost as much as a new fridge in an old fridge which will probably develop a leak in the next couple of years.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

My crystal ball sees a new fridge in your future.........not the new rod you want. Sorry about that.

Betty

Get a new fridge.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

+ Reply to Thread