+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Toon, float or kayak?

hey Mojo...you are right about the exploding bladders on some...I was fishing one night about 7yrs ago back in Alaska using my pontoon kickboat...all of a sudden BOOM!!!! I thought I had been shot because of the violent splash of water and how loud it was...before you could say "Jack Dempsy" I had barrel rolled in 100ft of water still strapped in...nice and cold water if I might say so...well, I am still here but thats because of my force fins...

That's a hell of a story bone. Glad you were able to make it out ok.
    About 10 years ago my brother had a Trout Traps tube that the vinyl bladder blew out. I had already launched (in a kickboat) sitting in the water waiting for him. He launched a few minutes after I did. Luckily he was only about 5' away from shore when it happened. The look on his face was surprise and then shock. No warning, no pop that I recall. He went down fast. It blew right on the seam and was about 4" long if memory serves me right. He was in less than 3' of water. I don't know what would have happened if he would have been out farther. It screwed up his plans for the day, but he shook it off and fished from shore. We didn't feel right about his fishing from shore (soaking wet) so we ended up leaving shortly after that. I think it scared me almost as much as it did him.
    All's well that end's well I guess.

The canoe is a great choice and here's another way to configure one:

Solo canoe (mine weighs 32 pounds) with outriggers. I can stand up in it. It's really easy to put on top of the car, I can use a single blade, a double blade or a small motor. Lots of ease of movement compared to a kayak. And I can use it without the outriggers whenever I want a normal canoe. Cheap? Not so much.

Yeah, expensive is an issue right now...
    I believe I can fly fish

Quote Originally Posted by Martin McFly View Post
    Yeah, expensive is an issue right now...

one last plug for the canoe...mine was only a little over $400...it is 40 inches wide and unflippable...here is some pictures...I also have a small adjustable height stool for passengers or for myself when I sit to rig up...on calmer days I will actually stand up on the stool and pushpole from elavated stance...also I remain 100% dry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bonefishwhisperer; 11-01-2009 at 12:16 PM.

Wow, that is one nice looking conoe...
    I believe I can fly fish

Default Nice Canoe

bonefishwhisperer, what kind of canoe is that? Nice looking canoe.

it is a Indian River...I believe it is the Sportsman model...this is my 2nd one from them...last one was the "Eagle" ...the price is right and they are unsinkable because of foam in front and back molded inside...tunnel hull sucks down tight to the water and its hard to break the suction even lifting it...at 40 inches wide I can actually carefully walk inside and as you can see it has room for whatever...2 rachet tye downs hold it in the truck...I just back up to the water and slide it out fully loaded and ready to go...
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread