+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nymph Lines

Default Nymph Lines

The winter trout season is almost upon us here in Texas. 99.9% of the trout fishing done here is nymphing. I have heard and read good things about the nymph taper lines. Both Rio and SA make them. Does anyone have any recommendation as to which route to go or does it just come down to a matter of preference where one prefers one over the other? Are there any differences anyone has noticed in the performance between the lines?

I went though this desition when I planned to start fishing the surf, I was going to get the SA but the guy at the fly shop suggested to start with the Rio Mainstream which is almost half the price of the SA. I've used it a couple of times and I liked it. The SA might perfom better, not sure, but at the time all I could afford was the Rio.
    I'd say if cash is not an issue go for the SA, they make good fly lines, this is my first Rio.
    Good luck
    I believe I can fly fish

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I'd been fishing nymphs for years, along with other wets, using tapered leaders. In fact it got to the point where I used themfor nearly everything, including baitfishing when I did it. Then a couple years ago I used my first furled leader..... I started with a Uni Thread leader about 7' long with a light mono tippet....... They're the best!! They sink fast when wet, and I've put Henry's Sinket on a leader a few times to make them sink even faster. A lot of the water I fish in here in the Pac. Northwest regulates any weight, wven if tied into the fly, so that makes getting them down a little harder at times. I still use tapereds, usually SA brand, but I ahve a couple baargain basement tapereds in my litle bag that I bought when GI Joes was going out of biz. I think they.re fairly equal, performance wise, but I usually use furled anymore.
    Before I used my first furled, however, tapered leaders were all I'd use, I've always been too lazy to tie up my own tapered leaders, but always have kept some spools of tippet to repair them til I just got way deep into the thicker part. Tapereds are awesome, and
    I still start folks out with them when I introduce them to the greatest of all fishing....with flies............................................. .......ModocDan

I've got the Rio Nymph line on a 10' 4 weight and have been more than satisfied with it .

Blog Entries

Default Nymphing Lines

Shane,

I have been using Rio Nymphing Lines for years now on my 11 foot Sage XP & Z-Axis rods and really like the way they perform. However, I just went to the Rio website and it seems that they no longer make that line. Drats!!!

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

Presentation isn't the problem with nymphs that it is with dries, so taper makes little difference. The main thing is to have the nymph in the bottom layer of water. In shallow streams a weighted leader or nymph can accomplish that. In deeper water, a sink tip or sinking line is better. No matter what, I see no reason to get a line tapered for nymphs. Shoot, a level line would be fine with them if you could stand to cast it.

+ Reply to Thread