+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trout in the classroom

Default Trout in the classroom

http://www.vusd.org/Linwood.cfm?subpage=18496

The webcam is from a classroom at Linwood School in Visalia, CA. Cool stuff. The kids are very excited! You can watch the fry swimming around in the tank.
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Cool Salmon too

Our little community has an arrangement with the elementary school up the road, they have the salmon in the classroom which are released in our little creek, and access to our private beach for various science projects. Terrific programs - if you don't have such programs in your local schools see about getting one started. A win-win for everyone involved.

Smile

The Northern Virginia Chapter is also helping with "Brook" Trout in the classroom. What a great idea! See following websites about what we are doing and where to go to get help if you are interested in getting started: http://www.troutintheclassroom.org/home and http://www.nvatu.org/

John

These are such great programs!

One of our elementaries does Salmon in the Classroom (Atlantics), and another nearby does (Brook) Trout in the Classroom through our Trout Unlimited Chapter. My hat goes off to the volunteers who make it happen, and to the teachers who go the extra mile for the learning experience!

Kat

My chapter, Rahway River TU, started doign this a year ago and we have 5 tanks already!! The girl in the classes are more interested than the boys, haha. Maybe NJ will have a large class of female trout fishers in the future. I think there are some local NJ web cams. Ill post what i find.....

Thanks for this! I just sent them a message!!!

The Atlantic Salmon Federation has being doing a similar program with Atlantic Salmon in Newfoundland for several years now (I remember seeing a tank of salmon fry in my elementary school and I'm 27). The program is called the Fish Friends Program and is designed to give the children a sense of ownership of the salmon resource in the province, and hopefully a desire to be stewards of the resource as they get older. I have volunteered my time collecting brood stock and helping the students release their fish and I have to say, it's a rewarding experience. Every student gets their own fish to release into the natal stream from which the brood stock for that tank was collected. We have dozens of schools show up on the same day to release their fish. It's amazing to watch the students say good bye and good luck to "George", "Frankie", "Buddy" and so on. I've always marveled at the success of this program.

+ Reply to Thread