+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Fly Fishing Vehicles

Default The favorite vehicle depends on where I am...

Due to high gas prices and the need to reduce the cost of commuting 2 years ago, I traded my beloved Jeep Grand Cherokee for a smaller commuter vehicle. I was pleased, and amazed, to find out that a 9 ft. fly rod will fit, fully rigged, along with all the gear for 2 flyfishers into a Toyota Prius! With 50 miles per gallon and 60K miles on her, I'm still happy.

Since I haven't figured out how to haul 120 lb. of kayaks on the roof of the Prius, our best all round vehicle is a 2004 Dodge Ram 4x4 w/hemi & 4 doors. This baby is comfortable and it's also paid for! What more can you ask...

07 Jeep Grand Cherokee that replaced the 2000 that got totaled, that replaced the 87 Cherokee Sport that got traded in. That 87 would go places that were just...scary bad. The only thing that I didn't like about it were the running boards that were on it. The wife wanted to trade it when it rolled over 100K. The 2000 saved our lives during a bad highway accident, but it didn't survive the ordeal. The wife won't drive anything else...But my 99 Nissan Frontier has been a pretty good fishing truck, too.
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Blog Entries

An 4-door '73 Impala back in the day... <insert fog of a proto-fogey's memory>
    It would take 5 or 6 of us from college to the streams that we fished. Fish were caught, but more weren't. Tales grew like Douglasfir on the Pacific NW coastal region, tall and thick.
    Only one of us owned waders the rest waded wet, even through snow (legs turned blue, probably not a Good Thing). We learned only a little about fly fishing, through our blundering about.
    We took turns at good holes. We caught stocker 'bows, occasionally a carry-over or naturalized fish. About mid-day, we ate Chef Boyardee straight from cans that had "heated" under the South-facing windshield and drank warm Cokes and water. We thought that we had found our slice of paradise-on-Earth.

Those were Days of Yore and Legend. <floating out of my lunchtime cubical and back into a world of magic and memories>

Ed

Well i have 2004 nissan sentra . Not the best but has survived so far. It can fit a 9'-10' rod assembled from the end of the trunk to the windsheild. Almost got it stuck in the mud on dirt roads but its survived. Looking for a better fishing car in the future.

I will second the Subaru Outback, I wouldn't change a thing about the car after 200,000 miles. Fits everything, AWD, ground clearance and gas mileage, also have found good use for the weatherband radio on numerous fishing trips.

Quote Originally Posted by dogtown View Post
    I will second the Subaru Outback, I wouldn't change a thing about the car after 200,000 miles. Fits everything, AWD, ground clearance and gas mileage, also have found good use for the weatherband radio on numerous fishing trips.
    I am working on my second subaru outback, both were bought used with around 60,000 miles, the first one made it up to 190,000 and the second one is doing good at 115,000 miles.

Lots of storage, AWD, good gas mileage, and most importantly they take the abuse and last a long time. Alot of the jeeps and ford explorers that people are talking about in this thread just fall apart way too quickly.

The ultimate fly fishing vehicle was not mine but one I camped next to in Yellowstone in the 1980's. I had a GMC motorhome but the space next to me was a Unimog all decked out as a camper with 4 spare tires and gas cans on the top of the Mog. It had been shipped from Europe to Alaska and the owners were driving from the Alaska down to the tip of Chile.

Here are some specifications for the Unimog

Paquette's Unimog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppBN5...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHhMzCtAx0M
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

1987 mazda b2200 pickup w/ canopy. my wittlefishtwuck!
    still gets me there.

2007 Pontiac Vibe
    Although this vehicle isn't for really serious off road work it provides good traction and a lot of flexibility in its interior with back seats that fold down flat as well as a passenger seat whose back folds down. It can carry a bunch of stuff inside. You can sleep in it if you want to, and I've carried a small kayak in it with the windows closed. It has a lift gate if you need to carry real long stuff, and with the gate up its a good place to "suit up" even when its raining. Although mine is a front wheel two wheel drive which has handled 8 inches of snow they also come in with four wheel drive. It has a roof rack and gets 30 miles to the gallon. This vehicle is a joint venture between GM and Toyota and although GM is dropping the Pontiac Toyota's version called the Matrix.

I was going to say just about any Toyota 4Runner, but those Unimogs are sure hard to beat!!!
    "Engineers don't idle well."

+ Reply to Thread