+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Albany/ Troy/ Schenectady, NY area trout fishing

Default Albany/ Troy/ Schenectady, NY area trout fishing

Hey All,

In my hunt for jobs here in NJ ive come up empty . I have found a few openings in each of these cities which are all in the same area. I refuse to move to where the trout fishing is poor. I know upstate NY is good for trout obviously but i hoping for some local input on how the fishing within 1/2 hour of these towns is. No need to spot burn or tell secrets but advice like "dont get too excited" or "start packing now fool! " would be appreciated.

Tom

Anyone? Just applied for the job and hoping the fishing is good.

Not sure about the distance from those locations but the West Canada Creek, above Herkimer, is worth investigating.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Twism86 View Post
    Hey All,

I refuse to move to where the trout fishing is poor. I know upstate NY is good for trout obviously but i hoping for some local input on how the fishing within 1/2 hour of these towns is.

Tom
    Hi Tom,

If this is really the case, then I wouldn't even consider moving here. Everything regarding trout fishing in the immediate capital region is, and has been declining since the eighties. You have to drive to the Esopus and south, to central New York and beyond west, to the Battenkill area and east, if you want to get into any type of quantity of trout in streams. The Adirondacks pretty much speak for themselves. If you like warm water fishing in ponds, small lakes, and some streams, you may find this area ok, but only in the warm months. We are also now located on the "pink ice line" where north of us is all snow, and south, the air is warm enough for the snow to change to all rain. If you enjoy driving on black ice to get to and from work for most of the winter, then you'll just love the capital region.

Regards,
    Mark

Thanks for the input! I dont mind really driving an hour for good fishing. Here in NJ i have to go at least 45 mins so its no big deal.

Google: Great Sacandaga Lake
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

+ Reply to Thread