+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Fly Fishing Vehicles

Default Top Fly Fishing Vehicles

Here's a fresh "Best of..." thread for your consideration:

What is the best auto you've ever used for your fly fishing adventures and why? Give us the juicy details. Inquiring minds want to know!

1985 F-150 (with cap). Always got me to where I wanted to go, never left me stranded, plenty of room to sleep in the back. Lots of good memories of fishing Yellowstone, Rock Creek, Blackfeet Reservation.

Regards,
    Scott

Blog Entries

Default Fishing Vehicles

Last fall I bought a new Dodge Mega Cab 4X4 and I absolutely love it. It seats 4 or 5 very comfortably and there is actually more room in the back seat than in the front seats. The back seats recline a bit so those passengers can relax and take a snooze if they want to. I have put on 25,000 miles on trips to North Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, and Oregon. This truck is fantastic on the road, extremely comfortable yet sturdy. I ran into a blizzard in North Dakota with 40 mph+ winds and temperatures down to 6*F, with absolutely no problems at all. I organize a lot of fishing trips and that is why I wanted a vehicle that could handle 4 to 5 people in comfort for those long rides to our destination.

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Organizations and clubs I belong to:

Fly Fishers International Life Member
    FFI 1000 Stewards member
    FFI Presidents Club
    FFI Fly Tying Group Life Member

Washington State Council FFI
    V.P. Membership

Alpine Fly Fishers Club
    President & Newsletter Editor--The Dead Drift

North Idaho Fly Casters club

although I hate to admit it, because I just got a used truck... my best fishing vechicle was my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport 2 door 4x4

Decent gas mileage, relatively small but could hold a 11 foot rod assembled from dashboard glass to rear, and I miss the upswinging tailgate of an SUV during the raining days. It's nice to lift of that tail gate and have a hefty umbrella above you.

with that being said, I haven't had much time to play with my 2004 Dodge Ram1500. but the tailgate, and the truck bed, has been really nice for holding muddy boots, soaked waders, skunk sprayed sweatshirts, etc etc. I think a Soft tonneau cover though is in my near future for sure.
    Alive without breath,
    As cold as death;
    Never thirsty, ever drinking,
    All in mail never clinking.
    - Riddle

Yukon XL, lots of room, American made.

http://www.gmc.com/yukon/xl/index.js..._XL_|_yukon_xl Edited to add a link.

For a shrunken version will be interesting to see one of these close up: http://www.gmc.com/terrain/terrain/i...xact_|_terrain
    Last edited by Clay; 10-28-2009 at 08:08 PM.

Here's mine, we call it the "toon hauler". Holds up to 5 bodies, good on gas and carries all the shtuff! 2002 GMC Sonoma 4x4. Slider window in the back so I can carry fully rigged rods from one spot to another.

Works for me!

Kelly.
    Last edited by kglissmeyer; 10-28-2009 at 08:41 PM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

I'd have to say my truck. Chevy Silverado Extended Cab. Like others, it carries everything, has a hard folding tonneau cover, and while moving between fishing holes, i can take the rod apart in the center and hit the road, putting it back together at the next hole extremely quickly.
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Ford Excursion

Not only can you fit a 9'ft rod inside without breaking it down, you can fit a 12 foot kayak ..............................
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    INSIDE!!!!!!! Done it!
    Actually you can put about 8 rods inside along the roof without breaking them down without making it uncomfortable for anyone.

How many kayaks you want to take on the roof?

Can sleep 2 in the back very comfortably. Can take 6 fishing buddies with you in total comfort.
    Just pull into a campsite and you have your own 'camper'.
    Plus with the 7.3L diesel it gets decent mileage 17.5 mpg on the highway at 75 mph or 20 mpg on back roads cruising at 50mph and last and not least you can tow ANYTHING behind it.

2) VW New Beetle.....huh?
    Can put a 9ft rod inside it too
    And with the diesel engine you're gonna get 42 mpg...........................AT WORST! 50 mpg highway. For one-two person trips, it's great.

Diesel...........the REAL 'hybrid'.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 10-28-2009 at 09:21 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

1976 Full Size Chevy Blazer Full Time 4X4 Went anywhere & everywhere, had it 18 years, daily driver...never, ever let me down. I had it long enough to stress test it, and it had plenty of cowboy pinstripes and battle scars. I loved it, and it had an awesome roof rack that went front to back and side to side. Put anything up there ya want. permanently mounted rod tubes on both sides of that rack, a 12' rod would go in fully rigged and loaded. Finally wore the old girl out....... now I have a 2000 Chevy Tahoe...
    I'm more careful with it, but in the year I've had it, it's proved to be everything the Blazer was and more comfortable......Oh, and it gets 19 mpg, The Blazer got 8......
    ...............................ModocDan ..... and...I love the AC....

2005 Subaru Outback. AWD, fits assembled rods, room for four and gear, 24mpg, plenty of ground clearence, heated seats, room for a queen sized air mattress in the back, roof rack, trailer hitch, and did I say.....AWD.

Arkansas State Coordinator for Reel Recovery
    Board Member of Fly Fishing Federation Southern Council

+ Reply to Thread