+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: substution for different furs and feathers.

Blog Entries

Default substution for different furs and feathers.

ok so whild going through the cpl fly tying books i have i notced that i dont have some of the furs or frathers required so i was wondering what can be used for substution. also i thought that mabe we could dedicate this thread to just that with a sticky at the top later? good idea? what do you think?
    so others who have the same question can find the answers in one spot.

the furs i'm interested in finding subs for are

polor bear
    calf tail
    hear's ear
    moose main

thanks all

Can't help on polar bear hair;

Depending on what you are looking to use it for, calf tail can be replaced with calf body hair, poly yarn (or some other similar synthetic), or turkey flats.

Hare's ear can be replaced with any spiky dubbing (but you really should get some).

Moose mane can be replaced with deer or elk hair (you should really get some of this as well).

White Skunk fur is the best substitute I've found for polar bear. Depending on how much of it that you need, I have some that I can share with you.

Jim Smith

You can pretty much make substitutions as you see fit (or need). I've used horse tail for moose mane, buck tail for calf tail and ground squirrel for hare's ear. I don't know a good polar bear sub.

This is something that gets easier as you become a more experienced tyer. The idea is to look at the fly and determine what the purpose of the material is in the fly. Once you understand what the reason for using that material is you can look at what you have that will have a similar effect. When you only have a few materials it is certainly harder to find something that will work. It is now hunting season so you should be gathering material by hunting or asking freinds who do hunt for the following items:
    squirrel skins and tails (skin will substitute for hares mask in a pinch)
    duck wings, flank feathers and CDC
    deer hair and bucktail
    skins from any upland bird (loose feathers and wings at least)
    snowshoe rabbit feet and masks (that is your hares mask)
    turkey tail and wing feathers (especially secondary wing feathers)
    elk and moose if possible
    just about anything else though I have given up on skunk which I just can't get the odor out of

If you're not sure what to keep from a given bird or animal just ask here
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

Check with a taxidermist... They usually have tons of scraps cut from the edges and such of all sorts of critters. Some have taken to saving and selling some...

Mountain goat is a far better substitute for polar bear, to our eyes, but fish prefer the real deal!

Poly-Bear is a synthetic sub I really like for colors... But my stash of real polar bear came from an old rug and can be measured by the square foot!

Calf tail is too cheap to consider a substitute. I bought a huge box of tails last year on Flea-Bay for just about a buck apiece.

Hare's masks are cheap and getting a couple dyed ones is a good idea, too.

Moose mane is usually used for bodies where a white and a dark hair are wrapped together to create a segmented look. You will not find hair long enough on elk or deer for that. A small piece will last a very long time... Moose body hair is useful for tailing on some dries... It floats extremely well.
    art

Blog Entries

i have called a few axidermistand they all told me too call back in a few months as our seasions just started. i cant hunt this year as i cant afford to get up to maine. (wont use a shotgun only ny garrand) but as for the other ideas thanks they ill help a bunch.

Here is a good cheap book that I found that has some good information in it for those of us that want to gather our own materials: http://www.amazon.com/Field-Fly-Tier.../dp/1571882057

Think that I paid $5 for my copy off of Ebay.

Bluntly some animals, it's just cheaper and a whole lot easier to just buy the material that has been de-bugged, and prepped properly by a pro outfit. You lower your risk of infecting all of the stuff that you have already purchased. Make no mistake bugs can be bad, but I haven't ever had the wonderful experience myself. Lots of flea and tick collars with my materials.

I looked a skinning and fleshing and drying a whole pheasant skin, then I saw one for $8 on sale. For me it is easier to pay the $8.

Now if I could just find that animal that has Crinkled Zelon and that rare flashabou critter. Synthetics are becoming more and more prevalent.

I think part of the answer depends on what you're tying.

I get creative with fly reciepes all the time and substitute different stuff. No, it's not "the fly" but typically the fish do not mind too much.

Size, silhoutte and presentation are, I believe, more important to the fish than if it's white Polar Bear hair, or some other hair that has been bleached or dyed white.

Jeff
    Last edited by jeffnles1; 10-26-2009 at 06:43 PM.

CharlaineC,

Noticed on your post you have a Garand. Finest rifle ever made in my humble opinion (and that of George Patton). Would love to own one myself.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread