+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you put wings on your dries?

Default Do you put wings on your dries?

Let's say you're tying a dry fly with the hackle wrapped in the same fashion as a traditional Catskill dry (not a parachute style dry). Do you incorporate wings, or just use hackle?

Are the wings necessary, or are they more important to the tier than they are to the trout?

Andrew

Simulations of what a trout see's don't show much of a wing. So...if I can get away without.
    They all fit the definition of "lure" anyway.

Andrew;
    I'm going to cross the line here and say no! Wings are a pain and time consuming and the fish can't see 'em anyway. I think that they are important only to the tiers ego and that the trout don't care! I could tie 3 - 4 fly's in the time it takes me to tie in one set of wings!!
    There I've said it and I'm not sorry!! I'll just get out the steel underwear and take the hits!! It's open season on Cactus Jack!!
    Good post Andrew. Should really stir the pot, but still teach your new tiers how to do it the traditional way. You may have some Rising Stars there!!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus

Jack you know the wings are there (preferably in orange or chartreuse)so us blind guys know where the fly is at. Without them even a mediocre caster like me has no problem putting a fly clean out of sight. If I could see every midge coming off the water like you do I might think about omiting them.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Hummm...Do I add them ? Yes...

Do I think they are "Needed"...ummm to catch fish....Not positive either way I know they are what creates the airfoil that sets the hook upright in the water!!!...And keeps it from sitting face down in the surface film..well if the fly be "Traditionally" Hackled...I use A.K.Best's Hackling method religiously, Yes even on the catskill tyes...Shoot me if'in you must...lol..but I like the method and what it imparts to the fly!
    As I like wings on my flies...It's up to the tyer himself when you get right down to it...Do as YOU wish...and I hope the fish agree with your wishes!.

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

RW here,'

I seldom tie in wings on my working dry flies. For show flies I do, but I don't see the need for wings in actual use. From below, the trout can't see them unless they're spentwings. I use wings on my wets, but not on my dries. A trout, in his window of vision will see and hit a good stiff hackle, high floating variant just as quickly as he will hit a winged fly. all other things being equal. Wingless, dry variants were Art Flicks favorite flies. If they were good enough for him they're good enough for me.

Practically speaking, I think wings only add aesthetic properties to a dry fly for the benefit of the fisherman, not the fish. I think the trout could care less.

Example: If some folks think a trout won't hit a wingless fly because they "can't" see the wings, what in the world makes them think a trout "will" hit a dry fly with a big, unnatural chunk of steel sticking out of its butt that the fish obviously "can see". The fact that they do hit the fly is pretty clear to me. They "don't" care about the presence of the hook or the absence of the wings. So why waste my precious woodie flank on the dries, when I can save them for use on my wets.

Later, RW

------------------
    "We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring on fishing the wet fly-

[This message has been edited by Royal Wulff (edited 27 December 2005).]
    "The value of trout is simply that they exist" <Frank Weisbarth>

Y'know, I totally agree with RW...it's always been a mystery to me how we could possibly believe that any fly with the hook sticking out of it's posterior could trick any thinking, observant trout. Hmmmmm?

------------------
    There's snow on the roof but the fire still burns in the oven.

So many theories:

Vince Marinaro thought that large wings were a triggering device, that trout could see them, and that in fact, it would be the first thing the trout sees. Marinaro used oversized wings on his famous thorax patterns.

One of his disciples, Datus Proper, argued for wingless dryflies in "What The Trout Said." Proper believed that the hackle (in what he referred to as a Hackle Fly) represented both legs and wings.

Of course, Haystacks, Comparaduns and Sparkle Duns all lack the distinctive wings of a Catskill.

My guess is that separate wings are probably not needed. That said, they probably don't hurt either.

I think hackle tip wings are a pain and lately have been using either turkey flats, t-base, wood duck or mallard for wings. This winter, to make it even simpler, I'm not splitting the wings but rather keeping it to a single post.

I know some have a theory that mayflies hold their wings together when on the water. I'm pretty sure the single post thing will work, but I'll see come Spring.

As for the hook, the best explanation is that trout look for positives, not negatives. The look for what they expect to be there (wings, legs, body, tail, dimpling etc.) and not for what they don't (hook, tippet).

My $0.02.

-Steven

I normaly put the wings on, just don't want to take a change that a fish will reject it because there are no wings. I will skip them on small flies, size 20 and under.

-ST

------------------
    [url=http://www.flyfishingwis.com:4f692]www.flyfishingwis.com[/url:4f692]

I tie most dry flies as paraloops so there are no wings. They have worked for me.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread