+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Flyrod Comparison Question

Default Flyrod Comparison Question

I am looking at adding a rod to my quiver, and possible replacing an existing one. It would be a 4 wt. I am looking at a medium-fast action graphite rod (9') vs. a 7'6" bamboo rod. I have several things that I would like a new rod to do.
    - help make my mediocre casting better / easier
    - help me mend line easier
    - help me get more distance with my cast by making my double haul more consistant.

I am not looking for rod recommendations, but rather a discussion about bamboo vs. graphite, in the lengths described above to help with these issues. FYI as far as casting experience goes I can get by in a crowd. I'm not the best, don't cast 80' with regularity but on occaisions I do. I double haul some, but it is not something I consider having down pat.

My goal is to get a rod that will be the rod I use and will complement my abilities to make me a better fisherman, knowing that alot of my answer lies in practice).

jed

Dear Jed,

As far as line mending and line handling is concerned a 9 foot rod has definite advantages over a 7 1/2 foot rod. The longer reach equals more line held off the water which makes mending easier to accomplish.

Your concerns about ease of casting and casting distance that will depend more on you than on the rod. If you find you cast more comfortably with a moderate or slower action rod you may want to look harder at the bamboo.

Maybe you should just get both of them?

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

For a long time I searched for a rod that would make me a better caster. In those days I sold or gave away rods I wish I had back. Over time and lots of practice, I learned to take each rod I cast for what it is, to get in time with the rod. While some rods are better distance rods than others and some load more easily on short casts--- within reasonable limits you can learn to fish almost any rod.
    Tims points are valid on rod length.

I agree with Tim. When choosing between two such different rods, the answer should be "Both." Of course, you're hearing that from me, the guy who can't say no, the one who just purchased and filled his sixth rod tube rack.

One year, I decided I needed to improve my casting (distance, accuracy, double haul, loop control, etc.), so I set aside 20 minutes each morning or evening to go to the park at the end of my block and practice. I found I made the greatest strides if I took two very different rods along (a short bamboo and a longer fast action graphite, for example) and switched back and forth as I practiced. It forced me to attune myself to the characteristics of the rod I had in my hand rather than just mindlessly casting away.

Try it -- with both of the rods.

+ Reply to Thread