+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Regal vise

Default Regal vise

Ok, so I got my regal vise yesterday. After tying on it for about an hour and a half, I really like it a lot. Its simplicity and ease of use really fit my style. The head and jaws were bigger than I imagined, but did not have any effect on my tying ability.

The only concern I have is, after tightening the brass thumb screw down as much as I could, the head will still rotate with some pressure. Is this normal?

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

its a (semi) rotary vise, yes this is normal. I like being able to see the other side of the fly. I also like being able to turn a side up when attaching legs wings etc then turning it over for the other side. Just gives me more options. adjust it so it stays where you want it when tying but rotates when you need it and enjoy your new vise.

I realy love mine

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Cold Guest

Mine does that too, but, if yours is like mine, it rotates easily for you when you want it to, but it wont ever budge when tying. All of your tying tensions pull in directions that wont rotate the head. My vise head and stem will also rotate to face the jaws toward me, which is nice for weaving.

Talking

OK, you're now officially ruined. Throw away all the other vises you own. You'll never be happy with them once you get used to a Regal!
    Mark 1:17

Bass_Bug Guest

Never understood the fanfare over Regal vise's. I'm sure they're a quality vise, but for the money they sure are a simple (minimal feature) design. We all like what we like, but regardless of product, I still like to see tyers with this kind level of enthusiasm toward the craft! Hope you get many enjoyable of hours of tying with it.

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by terry13111 View Post
    Ok, so I got my regal vise yesterday.
    dont forget to read the instructions on how to put the hook in the jaws or you will be back on here B!thcing about the jaws breaking after you put the hook in wrong and blaming Regal!

we have seen and heard this countless number of times.

years ago the regal was the vise to own. i had regal but migrated to a renzetti when they first came out.

as bassbug says we all like what we like, to me its only someones opinion and it really should be the tyers preference as to what he/she buys.
    Last edited by Normand; 10-21-2009 at 09:52 AM.

It seems pretty simple, basically you insert the majority of the hook bend into the jaws instead of just the edge???

Thanks everyone for the help.

I tie on an old Regal and a Renzetti Master with a crank. Just depends on the fly. Sparrows, Dredgers, wooly buggers or anything that gets palmered hackel or a wrapped body gets tied on the Renzetti. All other gets tied on the Regal.

fishbum

Great vise, used mine for years (although I now have a Renzetti and wouldn't go back). Be careful seating smaller hooks; if it's not in there right, the vise lets you know - ping!

Regards,
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Great vise, used mine for years (although I now have a Renzetti and wouldn't go back). Be careful seating smaller hooks; if it's not in there right, the vise lets you know - ping!

Regards,
    Scott
    Then the love of your life lets you know...

"!@#)!*@#$^)$*!$#)%* these !(#%%)!(^!)$#@^( hooks all over the @#!#$*^$&#@$%* Floor!!"
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread