+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Orvis PowerMaster PM-10

Default Orvis PowerMaster PM-10

So this evening, our local animal shelter held its annual wine festival and auction. The auction included an Ovris Power Master PM-10 9'6" 9wt 2 piece rod.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has used this rod, and also looking for some suggestions for 9wt fly lines to pick up over the winter for when I use it next spring.

Tried to also win a Float trip, but the guy who presented the item decided to bid on it... himself. (WTF?!) heh. Oh well.

It was a great time, glad I got to donate some money to a local cause.

Cya,
    Paul
    Last edited by branhap; 10-18-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by branhap View Post
    So this evening, our local animal shelter held its annual wine festival and auction. The auction included an Ovris Powermaster PM-10 9'6" 9wt 2 piece rod.

So I'm wondering if anyone else has used this rod, and also looking for some suggestions for 9wt fly lines to pick up over the winter for when I use it next spring.

Tried to also win a Float trip, but the guy who presented the item decided to bid on it... himself. (WTF?!) heh. Oh well.

Cya,
    Paul
    He has expenses with the float trip, it was probably cheaper for him to buy the trip back than to go through with the trip, I suspect if you had gone above what it cost him, he would have backed off.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

That's certainly possible. Not a huge deal. Just when he threw up his bid card, he got a few looks from the crowd, organizers, and even the auctioneer. This outfit does charge quite a bit more for their trips then others in the state. Most of their float trips are north of $600. Meanwhile, I can take trips on the North Platte, Green, or take wade trips into Yellowstone for significantly less than that.

The event went well none the less, My wife won a painting, we lost a moose photograph, won my flyrod, and an autographed Cesar Millan book that we donated went for a decent price. Plus I got to taste a wide variety of wines. Heh. A week long fly fishing trip to Alaska went for well over $4K. Maybe someday, I'll have enough in my "fishing account" to bid on that trip.

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by branhap View Post
    So this evening, our local animal shelter held its annual wine festival and auction. The auction included an Ovris Powermaster PM-10 9'6" 9wt 2 piece rod.

Cya,
    Paul

I have this rod and love it, use it for large mouth bass with a floating wf9f
    as well with a cortland 444 wf8s rocket taper. Been using this rod for better than fifteen years a real gem to cast.
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

Yeah I was thinking I would use this on the Large Mouth bass that are at one of our local lakes. Think it will work well for that. Also should work well on a few of the mountain lakes that can give me wind issues with my 5 wt.

Paul

I believe PM stands for "Power Matrix", not Power Master. I have the 9'-9wt rod in this series. I use for northeast saltwater fly fishing - striped bass, bluefish, etc. I use 10wt lines on it. It's a great rod, but I'd consider it overkill for most freshwater applications.
    Last edited by gadabout; 10-18-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Actually it is Power master. It's an older rod from the early to mid 90's based on my research. The Power Matrix is part of their newer series.

Paul

+ Reply to Thread