+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cortland 444 Classic Sylk ...?

Question Cortland 444 Classic Sylk ...?

Is this a good line to use on a 7'6 5wt cane on small to medium size streams?

If so, where is the best and cheapest place to order from?
    Last edited by Grubb; 10-16-2009 at 11:37 PM.
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Post Cortland 444 Classic Sylk

Grubb,
    I think you will really like the Cortland 444 Classic Sylk; that line was made for a cane rod in my opinion. I also use a 7'6'' cane rod and have used it on small mountain streams and even on some medium size waters. It casts beautifully and helps make nice delicate presentations. This past summer I took the cane out to do some classic wet fly fishing and had a blast. I purchased my line from a local fly shop in my area, but I am sure there are many places to order the line at a good price; I am sure others on this board will be able to suggest some good sites to check out. Best of luck to you. Enjoy that cane rod!

Owlman

I'm not sure where the cheapest price is, but I can vouch for the line. It's a smaller diameter line which lets it pass through the guides on traditional cane rods much easier than most others. I have one I put on an 8ft 6wt and really like it a lot. It shoots great, floats well so far, and, as an added bonus, the smaller diameter transmits information better so when you have a fish on you can feel everything it does during the fight.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Cold Guest

I use the WF4F on my glass rod and love it.

Talking

Folks thank you for your replies, to be honest, when I posted, I was sitting here thinking how cool the color was and how it would look with my rod and reel. I was hoping I suppose for you folks to jump in here and tell me how "AMAZED" I would be with the difference, so I could justify my spending the money...lol
    You guys did bring up a couple of good points, you are happy with it, line diameter, the feel, thats headed toward AMAZING difference, right?

Oh and the other reason for posting, I have talked myself into other lines in the past and wished I hadn't ...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Grubb,

I liked the sylk on that rod. The line isent that much retail if I recall, give it a try!

Z

Talking

Sold
    I'll have to consult the Irishman in the buckeye state (Tuber) for help in finding the right price, he seems to have skills in that area...
    Last edited by Grubb; 10-18-2009 at 04:21 AM.

I fish bamboo almost exclusively and Sylk is as good a line as any other plastic line, in my opinion. The smaller diameter is nice and mine casts well. The color isn't appealing to me but that's merely personal preference. Only complaint I have is from the tip back for about a foot it sinks after not much use. I have one in 6WFF but don't use it since turning to real silk for my 4, 5, 6 and 8 wts. I'd offer it for sale but I'm going to give it to my youngest son.

Vic

I use it on my Orvis Trout Bum. The line has very little memory. Not crazy, however, about how the line looks.
    Randy

Cold Guest

I guess I'm in the minority of Sylk users in that I love the color of that line. I've got it spooled on an Orvis BBS-II, and use it with a 4wt Diamondglass. The "mustard" line really looks nice with black gloss rod and black reel, IMHO.

Though I've only been using it for a few months, mine floats really well. I nail knotted a perfection loop to the end of the line, made of 20# Amnesia, trimmed the end, and sealed off with a dot (literally, a dot, a speck) of sally hansens (because I didnt have my UV knotsense on hand at the time). It's done a great job so far, though if it starts to sink on me, I'll probably re-tie the same setup, but seal with knotsense.

+ Reply to Thread