+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wading shoes

Default Wading shoes

Hi all,
    I am looking into buying some wading shoes. I looked at some SIMS that were $100 today, kinda expensive for a highschool kid, or is that cheap? Can anyone recomend inexpensive yet still durable shoes?
    Thanks- David

------------------
    Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once.
    -Lee Wulff

Flytyer317,

Here's the page for Chota (FAOL Sponsor) and they have great looking boots for under $100!!!
    [url=http://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/CyberMerchant/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=17&=store:ffc20]http://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/CyberMerchant/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=17&=store[/url:ffc20]

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim

[This message has been edited by MOturkE (edited 28 December 2005).]
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Flytyer317,

Bob at Hook and Hackle, a sponsor of FAOL, has felt-soled wading shoes for less than $40. They are called Navasink Wading Shoes and are not fancy but I've used mine hard for the last four years and they are still going strong. They should be a little easier on the old budget. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

317 - are you still in a growth spurt? If so, you might outgrow your shoes before they wear out.

Will you be wading heavy water? At your age, I was much more adventurous in my wading, and should have been wearing cleats then.

I've been using Chotas for the past year, and they fit me so well that I feel very sure-footed with the felt model. They are also the champ for durability - I've got almost 700 ffishing hours on them, and they look like they'll go another 500-1000. For most folks, that would be a bunch of years of ffishing.

I've gone through at least a dozen other models and makes over the years. These Chotas are the best for me - the Quick Lace feature is grand, too.

------------------
    tl
    les

Not to sell the sponsors short here because I don't know if any of them carry these, but even before I was a member on FAOL I have had Christmas Island wading boots (I use for freshwater and saltwater) and I haven't had to get another pair of boots yet. Very comfortable and easy zipper. The price isn't too bad either considering who sells them on this particular link. Regardless of who sells them, I get good service out of these boots.
    [url=http://shorterlink.com/?CPO986:2af02]http://shorterlink.com/?CPO986[/url:2af02]

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Sounds like Les has a good q,If your still a growing boy,Go for the cheaper H&H boots for now...and when your ready and think you've peaked on the growing...Go for the Chota's they are all that have been said of them...I too am of limited funds...(Wife and 4 kids)..and a mighty thirst for the best equip I can afford! The STL Plus boots by Chota are the cats butt! and come with screw in cheats that can be installed/removed at will..for just a tad over the 100 dollar mark... $117.95 I paid...Money well spent IMHO

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I bought the SIMMS boots and like them very much. I fould a place that sold prior years models for about $75, and add $10 for shipping. Regardless, I did find them to give good support and feel like something that I could wear all day long. I also tried the Cabela's knockoff of the Simms boot and it was heavier, clunkier and not as comfortable.

I think the Simms boot is an excellent choice.

jed

Luckly the places I fish arent to rocky or slippery, and the current is never fast. So I just use an old pair of sneakers. The walk is only a minute, so walking back to the car with wet shoes/feet isnt to bad. Of course this is only in the late spring/summer.

I can't compare because I only own one pair and they are my first pair. Simms...felt sole lace up. I happen to have bad bad chronic tired feet. Besides my $226 Redwing Lineman's boots....the Simms are the only other pair of boots or shoes I can wear and are very comfortable for me. I got them oversized for my arch supports and for an extra pair of thick wooly socks for cold days. Wife bought so don't know price. But they are terrific. Right now, I wouldn't part with them. Same goes for the Simms chest waders she bought me. I would have never spent that kind of money....bless my good wife. Thanks Jed for the Cabela's comparison. Good info for me as well.

Gem

I checked the Hook and Hackle shoes, and they look pretty good. To answer your questions I am fully grown and will not outgrow my shoes. I fish a fairly big river ( Clark Fork) and also a fast moving creek, however the rocks aren't very slimy, so I believe cleate's will not be nesessary. I will definately check into Hook and Hackles boots, thanks to everyone for your help.
    - David

------------------
    Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once.
    -Lee Wulff

+ Reply to Thread