+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Newbie Spooling Question

Default Newbie Spooling Question

I picked up a new rod/reel combo so it's time to wind my own reels.

When spooling the backing onto a reel, does it matter how the line comes off the spool?

With spinning reels, the way you wind the line onto the spool affects the way it lays when played out from the spool. Does the same thing happen for the backing?

Since I mainly fish for pan fish and bass, I understand that it'll be rare, if ever, that I actually see the backing while fishing, but I'd like to be correctly prepared if it ever occurred.

Thanks,
    Glenn

Just put the backing spool on some type of spindle and crank it on the reel. Don't pull it off the side, though with dacron backing, even if you did, the line twist will not be a severe as with mono. With spinning reels, you are trying to avoid introducing twists in the line, this is not an issue with fly reel reels.

I would think it's better to install any type line onto a spool straight, backing, main line or leader. What I have for installing line is some kind of a plastic doohickey that I saw at Cabelas when visiting one of their stores, that's yoked at both ends so it will fit between your ankles, it's about 9" long with a shaft between that comes apart so a spooled line will fit onto it and you simply do your reeling in business with all coming straight onto the reel.
    The doggone thing has no name on it and I've long since threw the packaging away so I can't tell you the name of it.

+ Reply to Thread