+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fishing magazines

I stopped buying flyfishing mags because I mainly tie and fish warmwater flies. I know some mags have a little section of warmwater but a little isn't enough to spend the money on. I can find out anything I'm wanting to know here on the net. Especially, here on FAOL. And I don't do a lot of traveling out of the state or country, so I don't really need to know about what happens eslewhere. I know I don't post much, but I'm on this site almost everyday reading. Thanks to FAOL and the people that contribute to it. I REALLY enjoy this site.

Go catch a fish,

Gary

Blog Entries

Default Simply Fishing Magazine has new edition out.

http://lenharris.blogspot.com/2010/0...w-edition.html

I got the cover and also have a Tiger Trout Article on Page 6.

Default I have three fly fishing magazine subscriptions

I subscribe to "Fly Tyer", Midwest Fly Fishing" & "The Canadian Fly Fisher". Living in Minnesota, they seem to fit my needs for good articles on fishing, and fly tying.

Yet my favorite magazine is Fly Anlgers Online.

~Parnelli

Doftya mentioned Catch Magazine. Its a free online magazine. Doesn't really get into techniques, flies, or equipment...but I am ALWAYS in awe of the amazing fly-fishing photography! I really do enjoy looking through each new issue. AWESOME!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Fly Fishing & Tying Journal is my favorite. American Angler next. A couple of the other unnamed magazines have evolved into political journals, screaming their views at readers. We get enough of that from other sources, so I expect a flyfishing magazine to focus on the subject. Thanks.

Some interesting views on FF mags.

I currently subscribe to Fly Fishing & Tying Journal and Fly Tyer. I have mixed feeling on Fly Tyer. It seems several issues are glitzy flies or special flies of little use and then suddenly one issue has several good articles and patterns. Kinda runs 1 mag out of 4. Fly Fishing and Tying Journal is more dependable. I often find several articles of interest. However, like others here, I find myself using the internet, including FAOL, for my fly fishing reading and tying and in the future will likely go to no mags.

Dr Bob

When I fish a new area I go to a local shop and purchase the local recommended flies for patterns to tie in camp. For magazines, I subscribe to Northwest Fly Fisherman (and always will) for great photography and ideas for next years trips and I also read The Drake for the sheer entertainment.
    I do have stacks of magazines that I no longer buy (support) because of what I consider misguided science and politics. Not trying to start anything, just my opinion.

+ Reply to Thread