+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: wading in the surf

And the thing is you might know how to swim but doing so in a pool and in the ocean is two different stories...I'm going to have to tie myself to something while surf fishing I guess.
    It's just the kind of stuff you're not use to in fresh water. I hope not to quit before I start LOL.
    I believe I can fly fish

When the surf is high, the thing to do is wait until a wave is receding and follow down, take your cast, then instead of stripping to tighten the slack.... back-up
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

wow...so much to learn.
    I believe I can fly fish

Quote Originally Posted by Martin McFly View Post
    wow...so much to learn.
    It's worth it
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I know, I know. That's why I'm taking my time trying to learn as much as I can.
    I believe I can fly fish

After fishing along the shore at Race Point Cape Cod, my wife and I went for a stroll down the beach with our backs in the direction of the angle of the surf. We were at the high water mark of the waves when one came in from behind that soaked her to the waist and washed up on the beach as far as the trucks were parked. Surprised even the locals.
    With waders on and washed into the surf you would have a hell of a time getting out.
    SOS suspenders or a life jacket would be a good idea just in case.

You know, I was thinking about that. I can float and all but I'm no gold medal swimmer so sure don't want to end up sleeping with the fishies...
    I believe I can fly fish

A way to fish the surf and survive is to fish with someone else there. Solo surf FF is risky. Also-use chest waders and two wader belts. One at the waist and one high up at chest level. Wear a fishing SOS inflatable vest.Now go have fun and yes don't turn your back on the surf.

Watch out for "The Wave of the day"..which is a monster..

One time while fishing atop a rock jetty, the tide was coming in pretty quickly. I was slow (foolishly) to back off from the exposed top of the jetty as the waves crept in higher with each wave. Then a fresh wave flooded the rocks and lifted me up and thankfully set me down a few yards backwards still standing. I had all of the above safety gear on. Still...
    Last edited by flymaker2; 10-14-2009 at 05:18 AM.

+ Reply to Thread