+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly line with a loop on the backing end?

Default Fly line with a loop on the backing end?

I know, I should have done this earlier but putting a new fly line on a reel tonight and the Rio has loops on both ends. Yep, the end that goes to the backing has a loop and the end that goes to the leader has a loop. So what knot do I use to attach the loop to the backing. A loop to loop connection like I use for the leader would mean slipping 200 yards of backing through that loop????

I usually tie an Albright for backing to fly line, but it doesn't make sense to cut the loop that is there. In the Rio package is suggests knots for fly lines without the loop on the end.

I could still tie an Albright into that loop, what do you think?

This is a link digitally to what is enclosed in the Rio line package, no recomendations for a loop to backing: http://www.rioproducts.com/photos/fi...fe97733597.pdf

Blog Entries

I don't see whare it would be any less secure.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    I don't see whare it would be any less secure.
    I wasn't implying that it was less secure, I was just asking what knot should be used to attach the fly line to the backing when there is a loop at the backing end of the fly line. What knot is appropriate? I couldn't find a recomended knot on the Rio site, so here I am - AGAIN.

Rick

Clay,

Tie a large loop, big enough to get the whole fly line (coiled up) through. Then you can loop to loop the connection easily. As for the knot, for something like this, a double surgeons loop would be plenty strong.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Default Loop it...

Hello Clay, i don't recall who posted the answer a few months or more ago, but you simply put the backing on the spool, tye a loop that is long enough to pass the spool through, pass the backing loop through the flyline loop, then pass the spool through the long backing loop.

Cheers,

MontanaMoose

Actually, I've just been using an albright and it's been doing just fine. The would be a good idea if you saw yourself changing lines back and forth from time to time, though.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I wasn't implying that it was less secure, I was just asking what knot should be used to attach the fly line to the backing when there is a loop at the backing end of the fly line. What knot is appropriate? I couldn't find a recomended knot on the Rio site, so here I am - AGAIN.

Rick
    I suppose I should have been explicit. I think the Albright Knot would work just like it always has for you. The geometry of the knot would be virtually unchanged once tied. That is unless you somehow feel mysteriously compelled to go loop to loop when that is not your normal modus operandi.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

The big loop thing sounds grand. Last night I finally just tied an Albright to the loop and spooled up the line. Should have been much more prepared, I hate doing things at the very last minute. Meet a friend in 20 minutes for a salmon run. Looking forward to chasin' monsters today. Thanks for all of the help guys.

Since you've already gone with the Albright knot this question is probably moot but I'm curious ... Why would you have to pass the entire length of backing through your fly line loop?

Unless I'm mistaken you would spool your backing onto the reel and tie a loop at the end. Pass the backing loop through the fly line loop and then thread the tippet end of the fly line through the backing loop. Yes, you would have to pass the entire length of fly line through the backing loop but that isn't all that bad.

What am I missing???
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

10. Default

I'm surprised nobody recommended a Bimini Twist loop. It's practically a 100% knot. You connect the loops as Steve described above.

+ Reply to Thread