+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Striper fishing

Default Striper fishing

I took the family to a near shopping center and while I killed time I went to the Sports Chalet there, a guy showed me some pix of a lake close home, he had caught a 10lb (or so) stripper and a huge bass too. He said he caught the stripers on top water lures and that they were really aggressive.
    Now, I have never fished for stripers but I'd like to try. I own an 8 and a 10wt, the fist has a Rio mainstream sinking line and the second floating line. Which would be a better option?
    I'm not sure if I can use my bass bugs or if I need to tie specific flies for striper, if so, can anybody share some recipes?

Thanks tons.
    I believe I can fly fish

One of the most popular would be Clouser Minnows. Deceivers would work also but Clousers would be my first choice.
    Steve

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

I fly fish for stripers all the time. If your 10 wt has a fighting butt on it, use that one. Use sink tip line. If you don't have any, floating line will work. Make sure you have at least 100 yards of backing on the reel. You'll need it......

One of the best flies I have ever used for Stripers is a Puglisi Shad, in Grey and White. Next choice would be a N.E.W. Shad. And my all-time favorite is a Bunny Leech in gray or white.

Here are some tips: Look for seagulls diving and circling a particular spot. Then, zero in with binoculars. If you see fish jumping, and tearing up the water, you've found Stripers and White Bass. Get over there quick and cast right into the middle of things. And hang on tight, because they will slash your fly if it is close to the right size. If you are not hooking up, then go a size smaller or larger, until you find the right one. Once you find it, it will work for the rest of the day.

Also, don't power directly into the school. Shut off your motor when you get within 40 yards or so, and drift the rest of the way in, so as not to send the school down. When the school goes down, just get your binoculars and and search the area. They will be back up in a few minutes, close by. You can follow a school all day like this, or just find another. Your choice.

This is called 'jump' fishing, and is loads of fun. It works all-year round.

Oh, yeah...I forgot to mention that I don't own a boat. I guess that narrows my chances to catch them, doesn't it?

Yeah, my 10wt is loaded with Cabela's Prestige floating line and the reel is a Plueger Trion 9wt loaded with around 150 yards of backing. What size of Clousers do I need to tie and do I need saltwater hooks?

Thanks
    I believe I can fly fish

Not having a boat just means a narrower window of opportunity, and probably casting into the wind a bit. Find places like rocky points, jetties, any place that will concentrate or funnel baitfish. A good wind blowing into the shore will help keep the baitfish within casting range. As to flies, it's hard to beat Clouser minnows (deep) or deceivers (closer to the surface). I would keep the sink tip and floating lines both handy if it were me.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

That means I gotta get probably a sinking tip line for my 10wt and it does have a big fighting butt. Cool, I'm gonna get to use my 10wt!
    I believe I can fly fish

Color schemes for the clousers; White/white, chatruese/white, olive/white, pink/white. Sizes 2/0 through 4 work well for me. Have some with a lot of flash too, sometimes it makes a difference. Good luck, striper fishing is a sickness. Usually the worst the weather the better the striper fishing is.

Go catch a fish,
    Gary

Great, thanks a lot guys...I thought it would be crazy with so little time to get ready but I do have some Clousers with such description. And weather has been really bad, we haven't seen the sun all day.
    A last one. What about leaders, what length and size should I use? I got plenty of bass leaders that are around 0x and from 7 to 9'.
    Again, thanks.
    I believe I can fly fish

Bass leaders will be perfect.

Not at all. I do my best Striper fishing behind the tailraces at various dams. Just cast upstream and work the fly across as it drifts down. Concentrate on riffles and eddys.

All you have to do to adjust is get salt-water shooting heads and running line, for distance. That's what I use, and I seldom come home without my limit.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin McFly View Post
    Oh, yeah...I forgot to mention that I don't own a boat. I guess that narrows my chances to catch them, doesn't it?

Yeah, my 10wt is loaded with Cabela's Prestige floating line and the reel is a Plueger Trion 9wt loaded with around 150 yards of backing. What size of Clousers do I need to tie and do I need saltwater hooks?

Thanks

+ Reply to Thread