+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eyes on large flies

Default Eyes on large flies

I just picked up some craft/doll eyes (Clear bubble encasing a black disc with a flat back on it) that I am going to attach to some of my large streamer and sculpin patterns. Was wondering if anybody has experience doing this and what they think is the best way to glue/secure them to the heads of flies...any help appreciated. Thanks!

i use those too!
    after im finished with the fly, i put some clear coat nail polish(where ever you want the eyes to be) and just stick those on top of it. wait for it to dry and mold into it. i used to use super glue.. but it left some serious white marks so i stopped that.

Bass_Bug Guest

Shoe Goo and Goop are both Toluene based adhesives. Toluene thinned down is what Flex Seal (Wapsi) and Flexament (Umpqua) are made of. On harder bodies, I use Flex Seal to glue the eyes on. After they dry, I put a drop of Flex Seal on the edge of the eye and let it run around the eye's edge. On softer bodies Hair bugs etc, I use Shoe Goo and press it on to the hair. Got this trick from a Shayne Stalcup DVD.

Another fan of Goop here.

I switched over to Marine Goop at the recommendation of the "big name" tyers I met at a show. It has been working great.

Jim Smith

K3, I use both Goop but also a gel Crazy Glue made by Loctite. One thing I like to do before putting eyes on my deer hair flies is trim a small indentation on the fly head so the eyes are a bit receded in the head of the fly. This way the eyes don't portrude as much which I feel protects them from being popped off the fly by the fish or an errant cast into the trees.

- Alberto

Smile

I've been experimenting with things called ZOTS from a craft store. they are little dots of adhesive that come on a roll of a waxwd paper. You pick them off with tweezers andstick them oon the eye before attaching to the fly. They seem less messy and give you a chance to adjust the eye if needed. I also always coat the completed head with 5 minute epoxy. The process is time consuming but the result is bulletproof.

I scanned an article- forgot where- that suggested wrapping the eye with 6x mono tippet or clear mono thread and then coating it with epoxy or Sally Hansen's to reinforce.

Randall Sale
    they Kytroutbum

Loctite Stick-N-Seal (WalMart, Lowe's, etc) is also very good. Haven't lost an eye yet, even on deer hair bugs.

Default Sent ya a pm

Rob sent you a pm.

+ Reply to Thread