+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not fly fishing but still an impressive fish!

Thumbs up Not fly fishing but still an impressive fish!

Sorry, this one was not caught on the fly (you cannot catch Strugeon on the fly) but still wanted to share. Talk about Girl Power! My wife joined me for a day on the water in SW BC this past Monday and boy did she have her work cut out for her.

After a 40 minute battle, we had the beast of a White Sturgeon in hand for a few pics and a kiss good bye. The fish had a fork length of 8' 9" with an estimated weight of over 400lbs (tremendous girth). I'm proud of her for sticking in there for the battle. Stacey was flat out exhausted when the fight was over but the fish swam away no problem. What amazing creatures these Sturgeon are. Very cool indeed . . .

When you set the hook, the missle launches!

Here is a shot of me helping Stacey hold the fish

Here is our good friend and one heck of a river guide, Capt. Len Ames helping Stacey with the fish.

Very Nice!! By the way, I knew someone who decided to try to catch sturgeon on the fly. After a lot of effort and experimentation, he did catch one. Gave it up after that.
    Last edited by tailingloop; 10-08-2009 at 02:54 AM.

Dr. Fish...

All I can say is WOW!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by tailingloop View Post
    Very Nice!! By the way, I knew someone who decided to try to catch sturgeon on the fly. After a lot of effort and experimentation, he did catch one. Gave it up after that.
    Thanks
    Being that White Sturgeon have very, very tiny eyes and are pretty much exclusively scent feeders, without applying scent of some kind to a fly I just don't see it happening. He must have had a LOT of time on his hands OR targeted another species that perhaps has larger eyes and does some sight feeding.

I only saw one person who fly hooked a sturgeon ...it was snagged accidentally while steelhead fishing.

Your right...I have a list of fish IMO that you can't catch with a fly legitimately...

here is it...

Sturgeon
    Paddlefish

Last edited by Mato Kuwapi; 10-08-2009 at 04:28 AM.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

I've seen a paddlefish fair hooked on a fly. Only once, though. Who knows what it was thinking. As to scent feeders, catfish are predominately scent feeders as well, but they will slam a fly, so perhaps if the stars and planets align and everything is just right, a sturgeon probably would as well. Who knows?

BTW: awesome fish!!! Way to go!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Fish View Post
    Thanks
    Being that White Sturgeon have very, very tiny eyes and are pretty much exclusively scent feeders, without applying scent of some kind to a fly I just don't see it happening. He must have had a LOT of time on his hands OR targeted another species that perhaps has larger eyes and does some sight feeding.
    It was a white sturgeon. The fish was caught in the Sacramento River Delta. The gentleman who caught it (he recently passed away) was retired and had lots of time and enjoyed challenges. I believe the fly he used had been 'scented' by catching several stripers with it first. He succeeded in making the catch after putting in a lot of time then never tried it again having decided it was not worth the effort to try for a second catch but still satisfied that he met is goal. It was not a particularly large specimen.

Nice images too - the smiles say a lot.

Wow.. thats some fish Dr. Fish. I am sure you are proud. Great pictures to.
    Bill A

WOW! All of the photos are awesome but the one that is my favorite is the "missile launch"
    Congrats to your wife...what a fish !!!
    Bernie

WOW is an understatement. That thing is enormous.

Dr. Fish, I almost didn't recognize you without your hat. Though I see that your wife an friend are wearing the proper hat.
    Tim

+ Reply to Thread