+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glue anyone?

Default Glue anyone?

A couple of recent threads brought this to mind again.

I use thin CA glues a lot on my flies to help bond things in place.

I use it along the shank before wrapping bodies like leech patterns, buggers, anything with herl, rubber, any kind of fragile material or anything that I don't want to come away from the shank if they get 'cut'.

Doing this has allowed me to eliminate the need for a complete thread base on many patterns. It also speeds up the tying process while still yeilding flies that won't come apart too soon (If I can get one fish per fly, I'd be perfectly happy...but it's not fun when they just come apart WITHOUT being chewed on a bit).

Only takes a second to do, and makes the fly a lot tougher.

I use it when I tie a hair wing or tail of any kind..keeps the hair in place, helps keep the amount of thread under control. Especially helpful on really slick hair like squirrel.

Am I the only one doing this as a matter of routine?

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I use CA glue time to time.. more often than I used to. I especially like it for glueing hackle bits and stuff to my fingers.... and last year I managed to glue my lips together (momentarily, till I yanked them apart and started bleeding)...we won't go into that again.............ModocDan

Dont use the stuff------no need to. Its a waist of time. BILL

Cold Guest

I use it at certain times. I never use it as a base layer like that, but I do use a bit to reinforce the wraps to secure weighted eyes that I usually am tying on with light thread. I also use it on parachute dries because t really works down into thread and calf body hair, and it stiffens up the base of the post for hackle wrapping, as well as making for a more durable fly. I usually apply it right before I start to wrap the hackle (that's already been tied in) so that I'm tying off the hackle and whip finishing before it dries, effectively cementing the hackle in place along the post. Since I started doing this (and whip finishing my parachutes about the post, under the hackle), its made my parachutes pretty bulletproof, only becoming unusable after many fish.

Bass_Bug Guest

I dont use CA glues as a matter of course, but I do use it as needed for specific patterns or parts. It's not necessery on simple dry flies, but larger complicated patterns, it's almost a must in some cases. I buy the thin, medium and thick generic versions of Zap-a-Gap from Hobby lobby for half the price. Also if you use any CA glues at all, you should keep the CA de-bonder on hand. Available in dozens of brands. ($2.99 at Hobby Lobby). The biggest problem with CA glues is that it dries rock hard. I use Flex Seal, Soft Tex and Shoe Goo (same as Goop), where it's more applicable.

I use it when tying foam bodied poppers and flies like the gurgle pop. I also sometimes put a drop on parachute posts to keep them upright. I've found for the posts, clear fingernail polish (hard as nails in the box right now) does the trick too. Dip the bodkin in the polish bottle and wipe it on the post and allow to dry for about 30 seconds. Sometimes, if I'm tying a bunch of flies, I'll do several to the post stage, put the fingernail polish on and by the time I get several done, the first ones are ready to finish tying.

I tried CA glue as head cement once. Not a good idea.

I've found it does have its place but is not good for everything. It is really good at gluing fingers together. I've never glued my lips together though. That's a new one.

Jeff

If you plan on displaying your flys do not put them in air tight frames. The fumes from CA glue will destroy the fly in time. BILL

I'll use it for some foam flies, but that's it.

When wet CA turns white - turns me off.

When tying dries, I'll use some Sally Hansen's at the base of the tail to keep it spread (A.K. Best trick), or to help support a parachute post a little bit. I'm into the Wonder Wing style of dry fly so I'll use SH at the base of the wing and run some along the outer edges to try and enhance durability.

Default Glue anyone?

Naw.
    I just use fine threads, 14/0, and tye for strength.
    If I feel I need to I'll carefully apply a touch of head cement to the finished fly with one of my bodkins. But only enough to wet the thread and let it wick into the wraps.
    Now in my wood shop... I have 8 ounce bottles of the stuff to use on turnings, and sometimes on tiny moldings.
    Sonny Edmonds

"If I don't teach them, how will those Grand Kids learn to fish?"
    Lesson 1: What catches fish Vs: What catches fisherman's money.

I use it on foam poppers. Also on my boa yarn flies and the Godlie Jr. Hold the boa yarn better and the Godlie stays together longer with ther zap-a-gap head than with any other things I have used.

Rick

+ Reply to Thread