+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sink tip or full sinking line

Default Sink tip or full sinking line

I'd like to get a second line for my 8wt. I want to do some below surface fishing. I don't know what's better down to 15' sink tip or full sink. One person told me teeny line another told me type 2 full sink. Another told me sink tip are hard to detect strikes. Another told me full sink lines are hard to cast so I don't know. I'd like some help please.

Let's separate...

Teeny lines are a brand. Everybody makes their version...

This is from Cortland's website. One of my favorites for giving good explanations of line characteristics.

Eventually all sinking lines reach the same depth. However, the speed in which the line reaches the various depths is often the deciding factor in whether or not fish are being caught.

The following chart gives the sink rate for each type of sinking line. variations within each rate are due to the different line sizes themselves. I.e. a 10 weight type 6 is a bit faster than a 6 weight type 6.

TYPE CHARACTER SINK RATE (inch/second)
    1 slow (intermediate) 1 1/4 - 1 3/4 ips
    2 fast 2 1/2 - 3 ips
    3 extra fast 3 1/2 - 4 ips
    4 super sinker 4 1/4 - 5 ips
    5 super fast 5 1/4 - 6 ips
    6 extra super sinker 6 1/4 - 7 ips

What are you fishing for? My guess with an 8 wt. and sub-surface you may want a slow or Intermediate sink. Intermediates cast almost as easy as a WFF.

Sinking lines sink. You will have to roll cast the line to get it to the surface and then quickly move to the pick-up and cast before it sinks again. Only 1 backcast and then forward, a little slower and a little more open...also called "chuck and duck"

Good advice from the Lady. Personally, I would go for the intermediate sink, maybe a type 2. The inter is a very versatile tool. It will still sink deep as LF says but you just have to count a few more seconds, not a big hassle in a lake, as you have the time generally.

A sink tip you can more or less replicate with flouro leaders and some weight on a floating line. Don't forget you need an extra spool for each of these lines, that it the big expense.

One last thought, this week I got to fish some cheap sink lines against some good branded ones, and don't buy cheap. They sink at different rates, are generally all over the place. You get what you pay for so if you had an intemediate and some flouro leaders and weights you are well on the way.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

I will primarily using this combo for bass in the local lakes, however I may try also for pickerel/pike and musky. And use it for smallies on the susquehanna. Bob Clouser Jr, reccommended type 2. I heard the sink tips are easier to cast, but have the hinge effect and are hard to detect strikes.

The hinge effect does come into play when you are really trying to get it down. I fish local reservoirs for smallies, largemouths and pickeral (one of these days Ill get a pike) and in the warmer months Ill seriously wait 30 seconds before starting my retrieve in an attempt to get the fly down. I still catch fish but definately dont get as good of a hookset as when the fish are shallower in the spring and fall. I am planning on going to a full sink next season. Im going to keep my sink tip for river and stream fishing but I think a full sink will help me out a good deal. Just my experiences, take care.

I use both. My 8 wgt has one spool with an intermediate sinking line. My 6 wgt I have a spool with a 15 ft sink tip and one with a full sinking Orvis Depth Charge line. Depends on where you're fishing what you're fishing for. If I want to cover the water column from the surface to about 5 feet down I like the intermediate, particularly in salt water. With an intermediate you can fish a surface fly like a popper or banger, have to strip it a bit faster to keep ahead of the shrink rate, but it gives you that option. I use the sink tip on my 6 wgt, mainly in fresh water, where I might be fishing water in water 5 to 10 feet deep. The 6 wgt full sinking line I use in both fresh and salt water. I've actually used in depths as shallow as 3 feet. I like to use it where I want to keep a fly close to the bottom. I'm not a big fan of weighted flies.
    I also like to use it when fishing a floating fly, like a Crease fly.
    As far as casting, it's probably my casting style and bad habits, but I find it easier to cast the sinking lines, especially down the shore where I'm more likely to run into wind than a floating line.
    As far as detecting strikes, I'm usually using a bait fish pattern when I fishing the sinking lines or a pattern that requires some type of movement to be effective, though I will admit to more than once letting the line sit and finding that I had a fish attached when I lifted the line or started my retrieve.

I have a separate reel with full sink line on it, and now use it only on lakes from a float tube. I have a spoool of sink-tip, and use it only rarely now-- instead for most rivers I use my favorite reel with floating line, and tie on a sink tip section from 6 to 20 feet, as needed. I keep the sink sections in my leader book. MUCH easier than switching reels or spools. The rivers here are not all that deep so it works great.

DANBOB

I have a new SA 8' sinktip that has no noticeable hinge effect. It's the first sinktip I ever bought due to casting some that were horrible. However, the shop owner assured me that if I wasn't happy with the line, he'd refund my money. I still have the line, and use it often.

Dear jkilroy,

One other thing to consider is a multi-tip line. Most have 15 to 24 foot interchangeable heads that come in floating, intermediate, type II, and type 4 or 5. This will allow you to fish just about any depth.

As far as hingeing goes, yes there is some with a multi-tip but you can learn to handle that. To aid in strike detection with any sinking line use a short leader. For bass and warm water fish all you need is 2 to 3 feet of straight mono in a suitable pound test, 8 to 12 pound test works just fine.

I'd personally steer away from a full sinking line in the Susquehanna unless you really like to tie flies or you have a lot of money to buy flies to replace the ones you lose. There are just too many rocks and ledges out there.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

I haven't heard anything about Teeny line. Anybody like that?

+ Reply to Thread